Grove gear needed

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Need grove gear for any kitfox or avid, will modify fuseagle to make them work. Need asap, groves rediculous 10 week turn around is a factor. Let me know what you have, also need matco wheels/brakes. Thanks!

Edited by Wyonate

Posted

There was a Grove gear with wheels and breaks for a MK 4 on Barnstormers. Don't know if still there.

Posted

Yeah, I made a deal with the guy. Was all set and then he sold it out from under me. 

Posted

I have a Grove gear from a Fisher Horizon with New Matco discs, calipers, axles  and the wheels (MH6B) which were used when I got them. Tires are 700x6. I will split up if you can use anything.

Fisher Horizon 2 
Wheels
Axles
Hardware
Fisher Horizon 2 Landing GearGross Weight: 1050 lbs.
Weight:  21.0 lbs.
Material: 7075-T6 Aluminum
Axle Bolt Hole Pattern: Type 1
Optional Gundrill $200.00
P/N 1101-3   Price: $1,629

IMG-0600.JPG

IMG-0595.JPG

Posted (edited)

FWIW - I called Grove about using radius blocks and having them about 28 or 26" width compared to the 32" width of the Kitfox mounts and Robbie Grove told me that it wouldn't make enough difference to worry about.  I added another heavy crosstube about 10 or 12" ahead of where the strut attach tube was located (just under the vertical tubes on the longerons) and welded in some 3/4" x 2" wide rectangular tubes to attach the radius blocks.  Here is a photo.   Of course, mine is a nosedragger!   I would not put the gear flat against the fuselage as is shown in the above photos.  Hope this helps.  EDMO

IMG_1635.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That just might work! My fuselage is 33 wide. I believe it is an avid b, highly modified with mk 4 parts....mostly built...sat fpr a decade and i got a stellar deal so im finishing it.  I am really good with a tig torch, I'm in the process of adding supporting structure to the fuselage, no doubt I will build up where the grove blocks mount...the avid frame is just really not that strong with landing loads. If you could please shoot me a pm about pricing and such...defiantly interested. Thanks very much for the help!

Posted

A photo of your mounting solution would be amazing btw. Thanks again!

Posted

A photo of your mounting solution would be amazing btw. Thanks again!

I edited my post and added photo above - saying again, "Mine is a nosedragger".   The radius blocks are in Grove catalog, but I might have some depending on the width of the gear.  EDMO

Posted

Are these gun drilled?

Posted (edited)

Are these gun drilled?

Wyonate,  I am butting in again, but I see that the axle to fuselage height is 14"+, and Avid / Kitfox gear is normally 22" to 24" for taildraggers, and 16" for nosedraggers - You might want to add about 8" or more under the fuselage to get more prop clearance and AOA for takeoff.   I used the 22" for my nosedragger.  That would make a nice footwell like the Airdale, or storage room too.  EDMO

IMG_1635.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

EDMO, yeah i was just looking at that difference. The high would defiantly be an issue, especially with off field play.  I' am going to look close tomorrow to see if it would be worth build a structure that would add 8" or so. I also have some 800x6 tires so that will help get it a little more off the ground. On a side note the tk setup sure looks nice, no crazy waiting period, comparable price to grove and I could fab everything in a weekend. My friend who flies super cubs said those tk shocks just make you stick to the ground, zero bounce. 

Anyways, ideas on mounting the above grove gear on an avid would be appreciated. They are also more narrow but not much can be done about that

Posted

Storage room would be nice, I have no storage really. Additionally i only have a dash tank so a small fuel tank within said area is also an appealing thought. I plan on building a new set of wings probably next winter and these will have tanks in them (or save up some funds and buy a set). Right now I'm simply trying to put together a solid plane in a reasonable time so I can build some hours this summer and figure out exactly what I want. I have lots of great help and things are going well but the landing gear in an issue because I would really prefer to not use bungee gear

Posted

Another thing to consider is where will the wheels end up with this gear.  If they are to far back, you might go over on your nose the first time you get on the brakes.  I don't think you can use a Kitfox grove gear on an Avid for this reason.  If you are still building, you probably can order from grove and get the gear in time to put it on the plane before you are really ready to fly.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I agree with Jim on this.  You need to have the wheels location nearly the same as original Avid gear or be faced with nose-over.

"Another thing to consider is where will the wheels end up with this gear.  If they are to far back, you might go over on your nose the first time you get on the brakes."  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I decided I'm going to order tk shocks and build a cabane v. This will be pretty much the best possible solution. Thanks for all the help!