Matco Axles

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Good Afternoon,

I purchased 3/4" axles from Matco.  The axle's are slightly smaller than the original AVID axles which created a little slop where the axles fit to landing gear.  Have any of you experienced this and how did you get it tight again.  Is there a standard sleeve I can order?

Thanks

Posted

How loose are they?  If there is enough room in there for a sleeve there must be a lot of slop.  Are you sure they didn't send you a 5/8" axle?

Posted (edited)

Its definitely 3/4".  When I removed the original AVID axle I had to pound it out a little.  The Matco axle slides in very easy. It would be a very micro thin sleeve if one was available.  I was told if it had any space at all it would damage the receiving end.

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted (edited)

If you can return the Matco axles I have a set of new Kitfox axles for sale.  You know the price, but I don't without looking it up.  I can measure them to the nearest .001" if you need that.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Have you measured the old pieces? And have you measured the ID of the receiving part as well?

Posted

I miked my original Avid axles today and they are both 0.750", and they are an interference fit to the landing gear tubes, take minor taps with a hammer to insert or extract.

Posted

If the new ones are under .750 I would not use them. Finding a bearing to fit them would be costly. If the hole that your going into is reamed out a bit from rust or pounding.  I would use some hysol and set the new axles in there.

Posted

Mine fit just fine, check the diameter and contact Matco.

Posted

Thanks for all the advice.  I measured the axles and they are 3/4 exactly.  I think pounding out the old ones created the problem and Hysol per Tjay may be the solution.

Posted

Thanks for all the advice.  I measured the axles and they are 3/4 exactly.  I think pounding out the old ones created the problem and Hysol per Tjay may be the solution.

Should hold up just fine in there. If they ever got to get removed just warm them up.

Posted

Should hold up just fine in there. If they ever got to get removed just warm them up.

Thanks again.  This forum is awesome. 

Posted (edited)

How long are the Matco axles you bought?  I see that they have 3 lengths of the 3/4 axles.  Were they same length as old Avid axles?  Are these for the Douglas wheels?

Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO