Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Poly Fiber Cleaners and Solvents Substitutes

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We've discussed substitutes for M.E.K. for thinning and applying Poly Fiber products HERE

Unfortunately, no mention of temperature and humidity conditions in that thread.

Any problems experienced substituting Acetone, Lacquer Thinner or 105 Gun Solvent etc. for M.E.K. or R 65-75 Reducer or RR 8500 in different conditions?

How about direct substitution success stories for these Poly Fiber products:

1.) BR-8600 Blush Retarder for Poly-Brush
2.) Poly Fiber 310 Alkaline Cleaner
3.) Poly Fiber C-2210 Paint Cleaning Solvent

Edited by dholly

Posted

I have used 105 gun solvent/cleaner w/poly on the 4 kit fox and 1 avid with good results.

I used the blush retarder on two of them but didn't see a difference.

I ask several shops what they use and they said 105. 1/3 the cost and not as deadly.

MEK makes your kids born naked.

1 person likes this

Posted

Any substitution is asking for trouble. It might work, it might not. Doesn't matter if somebody else got away with it before either. MEK, Acetone and lacquer thinner are very different solvents!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ronin, I appreciate that but some things can be safely substituted in non-critical applications. For example, let's take Poly Fiber's 310 Alkaline Cleaner and C-2210 Paint Cleaning Solvent.

Alkali cleaners remove and suspend heavy soil and grease so it can be rinsed away. I see nothing critical about using Poly Fiber 310, heck you can make your own alkali cleaner with plain old Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate).

Mild Solution = 8 tablespoons per gallon of warm water.
Moderately Strong Solution = 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) per gallon warm water.

Why not?

C-2210 is simply a stronger, solvent based, surface cleaner described as:

"A mild solvent blend formulated to remove oil, silicone, wax and other contaminants from all painted or primed surfaces. Also removes tape gum from painted surfaces and acrylic windshield materials."

I already have the cleaners pictured. Primary ingredients in a couple is only water and Isopropyl Alcohol, none eat thru PolyBrush.

Why not?

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by dholly

Posted

I've been using lacquer thinner for the thinner with the polyfiber products, (still use MEK to thin poly tac though)  and have had good results in the last couple of covering jobs.  I was told by the paint shop that the 105 gun cleaner was really just lacquer thinner.  One thing I did find out though, is don't use the blue painter's masking tape with the lacquer thinner.  3M makes a green colored tape that is not bothered by the lacquer thinner.  With the blue tape, the glue started to come off the tape when I pulled the tape, and it was a real pain to get it off the paint.  The green tape worked fine, but should also be removed as soon as possible.  JImChuk

Posted

When it comes to water based cleaners yes, most substitutions will work. but some evaporate differently then others, some may leave a residue that could act like a release agent on your topcoats.  Read the product sheets carefully.  I worked in the paint industry for twenty years as a painter, tech rep and factory sales rep, for Akzo, (Sikkens), Standox, PPG, Sherwin Williams and Poly Fiber. I'll just say this, gun cleaner is usually made from recycled solvents, it can have silicone, glycol, oil, water and other nasties in it that I would't want anywhere near any my paint work.  There's a reason it's cheaper than a pure solvent. Same reason I wont use recycled rags on anything I'm painting.  Your el-cheapo lacquer thinners, (the 5 gallon pail types) are also usually recycled and contains the same crap. Even after washing a gun out with the cheap crap, I'll still put a few ounces of $50+ a gallon thinner/reducer thru the gun just to clear the crap out. 

I left some el-cheapo gun cleaner type thinner in a cup of a not-so-cheap Devilbiss spray gun for about a month once and opened the cup to find the bottom of it all corroded. That can only happen to an aluminum cup from water!  

A blending solvent is usually the purest virgin solvent you can get. 

1 person likes this