Skis installed

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  I finally got around to finishing the limiter cables and getting the Avid MK IV ready to get back in the air.  Now if we can have a late spring, I'll get some ski flying in.  We did get at least 6" of snow today, on top of the 16" or so that was there after the recent melts.  Bandit, I'll try to get those pics you wanted tomorrow....  JImChuk

Photo0261.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Looks fantastic....

Posted

Have fun in the snow!
How do you have it floating in the air like that in your workshop, black magic? Looks very convenient when changing from wheels to skis... 

I'm soon about to take off my skis, the snow is melting fast here in France

Fred

Posted

Have fun in the snow!
How do you have it floating in the air like that in your workshop, black magic? Looks very convenient when changing from wheels to skis... 

I'm soon about to take off my skis, the snow is melting fast here in France

Fred

It's not black magic...

Jim uses his Jedi training he learned from Yoda (X-wing lift out of swamp)

Posted

Fred,

I saw your video was featured on Barnstormers this morning.  I hadn't seen it yet.  Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.

https://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/eFLYER-featuredvideo.html 

Thanks... I did share it here in the forum first - as always, you are my prime audience! 

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3880-freds-films/&page=2#comment-52475 

Posted

The plane is hung from the ceiling with a couple of cable come a longs.  No magic, just physics. :-)  For just changing back and forth from wheels to skis, I have a 2x4 that is long enough to fit up against the bottom of the axels on both sides.  2 small blocks of wood on each end make saddles that cradle the axel so it doesn't want to slip off.  Then a small hydraulic floor jack goes under the 2x4 about 8" in from the wheel.   That positions the jack far enough away from the wheel or ski so there is room for it.  Works good,  although it probably wouldn't with the Avid factory skis as they mount on to the inner end of the axels as well.  This time I had to make up limiter cables on this new set of skis, so I needed to be able to put the right amount of nose up and nose down in the cables while the plane was in it's flying attitude.  JImChuk