Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MK IV Build in PA

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Well... I Finally got the garage finished with all the siding on and now need to finish the trim.  (You know you have to have a place to put your projects!)  With the garage to this stage I can finally start to build my Avid I acquired a few weeks ago.  Not without a few headaches along the way like several Nor'Easters.....

Have been working on things in the meantime trying to make progress.  After much aggravation I got the whole fuselage frame wiped down and cleaned of all the 26 years of dirt and slight bird crap from sitting in an old large enclosed chicken coop (not used anymore).  (MAN that is a lot of tubes to clean around!)  Frame was painted White & Red by the original owner and then stored away.  All other parts were stored in the garage attached to the residence of the previous owner and are in Great shape overall.  

I did get most of all the metal parts to the powder coating shop down the road about 2 weeks ago or so and actually thought that I would here from them this last Mon or Tues but didn't (anxiously waiting to see those slightly rusted parts come alive).  Also dropped off the firewall to a stainless steel fabricator I do work with so they could make a stainless firewall for me.  Stopped by several times for other reasons and its still sitting in shop to be made.  What a bummer! (just want to see something getting done).

Meanwhile back in the garage started making some of the aluminum parts.  After making all of them it sure seems like you have $20 worth of aluminum shavings and scrap to throw away.  Also started reaming the holes of the fuselage so I can start to put some of the bushing material in a while.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get some of that finished up and start fitting the floorboards as well as the baggage compartment.  As soon as I get the parts back from powder coating it should move things along a little bit to at least feel like there is some progress.

I have waited many Years for this and sure am Happy just to see the fuselage sitting in my garage knowing one day the Dream Will Come True!!!

Anyways hope to post back soon!  Cheers Randy

20180311_154658_resized 2.jpg

20180327_182528_resized 2.jpg

20180327_132337_resized 2.jpg

20180323_163408_resized 2.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Good luck Randy 

im in volant pa and we spoke on the phone ,we will keep in touch and keep each outher motivated 

Conversation rjg 

Posted

Sweet!

Now you'll have quite the conversation piece when people come to visit!

My wife does the tour usually and at the end the people come up to me and say something along the lines of:

"Ahhh, hate to have to tell you this..... but apparently there was an airplane crash in your garage....  knocked the wings right back and there are parts EVERYWHERE!!"

:)

1 person likes this

Posted

That's Funny!  If u got a crash then I have a Heck Of A Crash Site!  I also have a Piper PA22-20 in my basement that I need to sell.  Wings are out in a garage.  I'm sure it will be a conversation this weekend as most of the family doesn't know I got the new one.  :) Randy 

20171113_130315.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yeah mine was quite the conversation piece when I brought it into my wife's garage stall unannounced one day!!

Soon thereafter I found my new parking spot outside when my wifes car somehow kept getting parked in the other stall (that I thought was mine!)

:o  :huh:

But  with that plane in your basement you are taking this aviation disease to a whole new level!!  Maybe I'll show that to my wife and try and explain how lucky she is! LOL 

Anyway, all kidding aside, looking forward to watching your project progress!

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted (edited)

Got a Teaser yesterday!  I went to drop off the elevator control tube at the powder coating shop since they did not have my parts done yet (it had been marked all up from being transported and I missed taking it).  Was kind of bummed as it was to be a couple of days for the original parts but has been 4 weeks.  But they gave me what they had done so far and was the black parts for the flap controls and they came out Awesome!  They are working on the rest and hopefully today I will get a call about the rest.

I did get the bushings installed in all the locations needed, all control and rudder brackets made, floor boards are mostly fitted except for around the bungees until I get legs on and cargo box is started.

I have had the tail sliding around on rollers but I figured I would put the tail wheel on since the legs will be coming soon and get it sitting the way it should.  But I was also missing some of the AN hardware that came with the wheel because it fell out in the previous owners truck.  I got the parts now and started the install but not sure what to do with what I have.

First off I have the Maule Tailwheel.  The manual states about the spring being ground down on the sides and the later ones will already have it done.  Well mine is already done but when put into the tailwheel housing it is not a firm fit and looks as if it should not have been ground down and left at the 1 1/2" width?  Next there is a bolt already in the tailwheel housing to mount the spring it is 3/8" with castle nut.  The new AN hardware supplied is a 7/16" bolt with a fiber lock nut (the picture doesn't really show the size difference).  The tail spring hole is 7/16" and would accept the new hardware but the housing to the tailwheel is only 3/8".  Should I just use the 3/8" bolt supplied in the housing or drill out the housing larger to accept the new 7/16" bolt?  Is the tail spring okay with the sides ground down and not fitting all the way to the sides of the tail wheel housing?

Thanks for any thoughts!  Cheers Randy

20180411_180103 resized.jpg

20180411_175618 resized.jpg

20180412_102820 resized.jpg

Edited by Avid Randy

Posted

I would either get the right width tailwheel, or else use a spacer that will make up the difference in width.  

Posted

I do not believe that is a Maul tailwheel Randy.  I would just drill the hole to 7/16 and build a spacer to fit the spring to the tailwheel.  I did just that for a friend by cutting the top out of a piece of 1 1/2" 1/8" walled tubing making a U channel for the spring to set into.

Posted

Well Paul you were right on....It isn't a Maule!  I never actually looked closely at the tail wheel and just went by what the parts list said it was.  In the end it is a Heath FSS1 tail wheel.  The original owner had built two different Piper Cubs so I'm guessing he may had swapped the tail wheels at some point.  It looks as if the wheel/tire might be newer so he may have swapped them as well.  Guess I will have to decide what I want to do but I appreciate the suggestions.  If I do use it I will make a spacer to make it work for sure as you guys mentioned.  Thanks to both of you...

On another note I got a bunch of presents today!!!  They called and said the parts were done and man it is awesome to see these parts all shiny and ready to be used!  I normally don't talk about what I pay for things but I thought it was a great deal!  All the parts in the picture and actually 4 more that they are redoing for me (because I never took them apart and they just painted them as they were) cost $495 plus tax.  That's sandblasting them and powder coating with color changes.  Shoot just my time sand blasting or cleaning them up is worth that!  Cheers Randy

20180412_191307 resized.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I you want to go with a 6" maule tailwheel, I have a couple of extras.   JImChuk

Posted

Well here's a dumb question... Are you sure you got the tail spring position correct? Can't recall if it was Avid or early Kitfox but some springs that fit the wider tail wheel mount had to be necked at the fuselage. Do you still need a spacer if you flip the spring end for end?

Posted (edited)

AD29F05D-12B7-47B5-BC80-F631259A6FBB.thuAt your stage in the project I'd chunk that thing and the spring in the trash can and get ahold of Mark at Avid Planes for a dual spring upgrade and put a dual fork Matco 8" "Wide" TW assembly on.

Edited by C5Engineer
2 people like this

Posted

I just broke a tail spring last week, so don't throw the spring away, I maybe would take it off your hands...  Over 500 hrs on it, and far far to many poor landings.  Actually, it held up pretty well.  JimChuk

Posted

I just broke a tail spring last week, so don't throw the spring away, I maybe would take it off your hands...  Over 500 hrs on it, and far far to many poor landings.  Actually, it held up pretty well.  JimChuk

Jim I can send you my original single spring one it's just sitting on the shelf. PM me your address.

Posted

Dholly....yes it is the right way according to manual with the length to the bend.  My tail mount is 1 1/2" like the spring is so it fits snug.  The manual references to grind down sides to fit the Maule well in the end I don't have the Maule.  Anyways thanks for the suggestion. 

Joey....I might just do that for the smoother ride!  Thanks