New KitFox SS project

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I am not new, but the project is :D

Project.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice! Tell us about it? What are your plans for it?

Posted

Well, it is a 2008 Super Sport kit, with a speedster tail, dual brakes, factory build wing, tricycle gear (although this will change quickly), with a 912 firewall forward and select fairings.  The kit was originally owned by Mike Bigelow and I purchased it from him this weekend and brought it home.

I am still on the hunt for a good 912 ULS to put on it, but if I don't find one by the time I need it, I will likely buy a new one.  I am still on the fence about using the original covering kit that comes with it.  I have no experience covering or painting.  I am considering Oratex and may make a pilgrimage to Sun N Fun this year to see if I can see other planes covered in it and to talk to the Oratex people so that I can make a more informed decision.

The things that are on the short list, that I still need to buy are the engine, the prop, the cargo kit, the tailwheel kit, avionics (considering starting with the Dynon system) and potentially an alternative covering system.

I currently have an Avid A/B/C model, but its gross weight is at 850.  If you put me and the wife in it...that leaves enough for 5 gallons of fuel.  The wife has seen some of the places that I have been taking the Avid and wants to come along.  That was the original driver behind this project.

I want to use this aircraft to go off airport with and to use it for more than a conveyance to the vacation, but to make it part of the vacation as well.

I am hoping to have it completed in less than a year, so we shall see how that goes.

Posted

Tsoftware,,, take a look at the for sale area on this form. Dholly has one he is tryin to sell, i thought i had a friend interested but he spent all his $ on the Zenith 701 kit and dont have the funds to pick one up yet.  The one Dholly has sounds like a good motor for what i know about the 912.  And if u ask me the Oratex is sure awesome stuff, mayb more to buy to start but in the end the time savings and easy install and no stink if worth it. Im doing my first every fabric work on a PA12 and found it to b great stuff. 

Posted

Talk to Hal Stockman (Zipper Big Bore) or Ronnie Smith (South MS Light Aircraft).  they often have good used (overhauled) 912 engines available for a fraction of new.