Kitfox SS tailwheel selection

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I have recently purchased a 2008 Kitfox SS kit that was originally purchased with the nose gear option.  Unfortunately, they didn't select the option to also keep the tailwheel, which is my preferred configuration.  What tailwheel is suggested?  I am leaning toward the more economical Matco 8" pneumatic tailwheel kit that Kitfox sells?  Ideas?  Thoughts?

TIA

Posted

I changed from the stone hard Maule tailwheel to a Matco 6" pneumatic tailwheel. I was limited to 6" as I reused the Maule fork (I appear to be one of the few actually liking the Maule mechanism - maybe I'm just lucky...). If I had to change today I think I would go with the wide 8" kit http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL8PNEUWIDE-idv-3690-13.html 

But whatever you do, go for pneumatic !

Regards

Fred

Posted

I have had a couple of different tail wheel set-ups...but I now have the 8" Matco pneumatic. By far the best I have used

so far...Going to try that shock in the tail next. Not that I need to soften my tail hits...:lmao: It isn't called a tail dragger ...for nuthin    

John O

Posted

I’ve ran the Maule hard rubber wheel then went to the Matco 7” which I liked but was constantly getting flats and then I switched to the 8” one in the wide config with a dual fork and never looked back. The wide tire floats really well on all surfaces other than pavement and it also slows the responsiveness of the tail down a little bit making it a little tamer on roll out. You could also make it home on a flat tire with that set up although in 5 years and a thousand off airport landings I’ve never had a flat with this set up.

Posted

+1 on the wide 8" Matco.

Posted

This is what I love about this site, posted here and on the other site...sharing much more prevalent here!!!

Posted

I've found that unless your flying Model 7 with a 912iS and are asking questions about glass cockpits, autopilots, or shiny paint jobs the threads go pretty quiet over there. It's a different crowd for sure.

2 people like this