WTB 582 belly radiator for Avid

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a leak in my radiator and having issues finding a place to repair it.  If anyone has a good one for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Posted

Any Auto Radiator Shop should be able to repair it.  EDMO

Posted

EDMO, understand, I was just having issues finding a local radiator shop, as many radiators have transitioned to plastic with a replace rather than repair mentality.  I did find one and unfortunately, they weren't able to get it air tight...attempting the repair was causing other issues due to age and condition of the current radiator.  Whether it is liquid tight is yet to be seen.

I just really don't want to end up spending more on repairing the old radiator for more than I could pick up a reasonably good one for.

1 person likes this

Posted

if it wont hold air it wont hold water.. not something to be messing with in an airplane.  Buy new and have some peace of mind.  Doing a bush repair to get out of a jam is one thing, keeping it that way and always looking for a landing site because its a matter of when it will turn loose, not if is a crappy feeling when we should just be enjoying the flying.

:BC:

Posted

Completely agree, which is why my search continues...but there is always a possibility that someone has a good one for a reasonable price.

1 person likes this

Posted

The one on ebay was never used and sold for $100.  That's a pretty cheap price I think..... JImChuk

Posted

Agreed, it was a bit different than mine and I was in the process of getting mine fixed at the time.

Posted

Mine

Radiator.jpg

Posted

The one on ebay was never used and sold for $100.  That's a pretty cheap price I think..... JImChuk

Or you could spend a little more and get a quality good ol made in the USA part instead of cheap Chinese made junk. 

Posted

Or you could spend a little more and get a quality good ol made in the USA part instead of cheap Chinese made junk. 

The one Jim was talking about was a NOS never used KF radiator.. not one of the chinese ones.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have had truck radiators recored, but that was the old type - They just removed the end caps and soldered in a new core. 

Donno about the (stainless?) type you have.  I'm with Leni - "If it don't hold air, it wont hold water"!  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The radiator shop mentioned that possibility, but was unsure about how much it would cost or if their supplier would create a core that small and that it might end up costing as much as a new one.  I was unsure, initially, about the material, but the radiator ship said that this one is brass and bronze, someone before me just painted it.

Posted (edited)

Shops usually stock core material, and I think they just cut it to size and solder on your caps - Try getting a quote from them first.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO