Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My first plane/Avid mk4 pre-buy inspection/ advice

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Good afternoon y'all! Let me start by introducing myself, I am Benjamin! I am a 20 year old pilot with aprox 150 hours , all in tricycle gear aircraft; (C-150, C-172). While I am a full time college student, and am swearing into the army reserve next week, aviation always has and I assume always will be my passion.

I have recently found an absolutely beautiful Avid mk4 that meets 90% of my flight mission profiles, and takes 100% of my budget:).    My main two issues are that I have zero experience with experimental/LSA aircraft/ an inability to do a THOROUGH pre-buy inspection myself, and second while I am based in Southern California, the plane is in Tacoma, Washington. Aprox 1,200 miles away. 

Does anyone have advice as to facilitate an aviation deal over long distance, and recommendations for either a comprehensive pre-buy checklist and or qualified A&P mechanics that neck of the woods? 

Also I want to apologize in advance for any faux pas I may have made with my first post.

Posted

Welcome aboard!  We have several members in that area that might be willing to give advise on local A&P but my finding is that most of them have never dealt with or seen an Avid or kitfox and especially have never dealt with a 2 stroke powered aircraft.  The A&P / IA I use pretty much looks for the obvious and asks me if I feel safe and confident in my flying lawn mower then signs it off.  When was the last condition inspection?  Is it flown regularly or is it a barn find or hangar queen.  I think you will find that the Avid will make you grin ear to ear after flying the spam cans after you get through the initial shock of having to use your feet.

:BC:

Posted

Welcome aboard!  We have several members in that area that might be willing to give advise on local A&P but my finding is that most of them have never dealt with or seen an Avid or kitfox and especially have never dealt with a 2 stroke powered aircraft.  The A&P / IA I use pretty much looks for the obvious and asks me if I feel safe and confident in my flying lawn mower then signs it off.  When was the last condition inspection?  Is it flown regularly or is it a barn find or hangar queen.  I think you will find that the Avid will make you grin ear to ear after flying the spam cans after you get through the initial shock of having to use your feet.

Howdy sir! I just wanted to start by saying your picture of that absolutely beautiful taildragger on skis is the exact reason I'm an aviation buff.  

She seems to be a hangar queen in excellent condition, with the last conditional being completed approximately 10 months ago, with 35 hours flown since.

I hate to ask, but would love a go/no-go opinion from you and or the other experienced pilots in the AFF community.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1331189_+Avid_kitfox+MKIV+HEAVY+HAULER.html

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Price seems a little high at first, but he is accepting offers - With the $10K Stratus engine and a spare, which you could probably sell, and with the necessary fuselage stretch it seems like a good combination.  I wouldn't exactly call it a Hanger Queen with 400 hours, and 35 hours since last conditional - seems more like a current, part-time, flyer to me.  I am a fan of the EA-81. as it should be good for 2000 hours, or more, before a cheap overhaul, and you don't have to learn all the delicacies of flying with 2-stroke engines.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I was not too big on the Subaru at all... until I flew side X side with Randy in his.  When I was burning 6 gallons an hour in the 582 he was burning 3.2-3.5 an hour.  The Stretch and the extra HP really do make for a nice combo and Randy can get in and out every bit as short as I can and climb much better.  Granted, his is an Avid + but your using the same wing and the stretch on this one put you in the ball park of being oranges to mandarins.  I too think the 26 is a bit high but as Ed stated, you can sell the spare and recoup a chunk.

Randy has had great service from his Subie but he has decided to go with a souped up 912 in his this year.  You just cant argue with less weight and more HP.  From the pics the bird looks clean and well equipt, the question would be empty weight and gross.  What is the birds true useful load.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't say you would get a "chunk" of money for that spare engine - it depends on what it is - some with redrive have sold for as low as $1500, depending on use and what has been done to it, but the Stratus engines are worth more, and they are no longer made.  I have a spare EA81 that has not been modified and no redrive, and 31K miles on it, that I would take $500 for.  I agree with akflyer above, that Randy "Suberavid" on this site has demonstrated that the Stratus EA-81 is a very good performing and dependable engine that he has been flying in Alaska for several hundred hours.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Benjamin,  take a look at the add I just posted it the For Sale section.  $10,000 less $ and a lighter 4 stroke engine.  Best to look at as many options as possible before kissing your dollars goodby.  JImChuk