Oil tank

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Latest mod to my MK IV was moving the oil tank up under the right side of the cowling.  It almost fit but I did have to make a couple of holes. The oil cap and the ring that holds the lid on needed some extra room   Right now I can simply remove the cap to check the oil but will probably put a couple of bumps and an oil door but we will see.  I will try to get a couple of pix today.  It is clamped with a mount to the engine mount.  The downside is that it is very tight clearing the valve covers by only a 1/4-3/8" .  It does come off in less than a minute so it will not be to bad.  The old location is scheduled to become a compartment to handle tools tie downs and the other things freeing up some room in the baggage area .  Also threw in a new 912ULS while I was at it and moved the oil cooler back behind the radiator on a purpose built mount and plenum.  The oil temperature comes up in about half the time and I pickup about, you guessed, it 5 mph.  Hoping to get some Orotex to try on the gear legs to pick back up some more speed. I know it is Oratex but Orotex fits it better with the price of that stuff.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

U can call paul at better aircraft fabric in anch and he will send u some 24"x36" sample pieces with glue.  I got some olive drab green to do repairs on my BlackFox then painted it black, it been about a yr but i belive they where about $10 each.  

image.png

Posted

I think if u add up all supplies for both fabric systems and an hr labor rate, even for urself, no chemicals and the time savins i think it same or better in the long run, IMO.  Ill bet u can cover ur gear legs in less than an hour with the Oratex, And no braincells  burned from the solvents. :bugeyes:

Posted

Paul, I need to double check but I think I may have one of the yellow Oratex samplers with glue. I'll bring it to OSH this year if you want it.

Posted

Buck, Sounds good I am looking forward to trying it.

Doug thank you for the offer, I don't know if I will make it to OSH this year but I will sure let you know if we decide to go.