Facet Fuel Pump

11 posts in this topic

Posted

If any of you are running a facet boost pump on a 582 can you tell me if you have it feeding both carbs or one carb?

On my Avid it is installed in parallel as per the Rotax guide lines, however it is only feeding one carb.  That just doesn't seem right to me.

Posted

Mine is installed right at the header tank behind the seat. It pressurizes the whole system.  

Posted

Mine is installed right at the header tank behind the seat. It pressurizes the whole system.  

That doesn't meet the Rotax guidelines as that is series and not parallel.  If your Mikuni diaphragm fails and blocks off then your facet pump will make no odds.

Posted

Do you have the Rotax guidelines you can post?  I have not seen anything on this from Rotax. 

Posted

Page 15-1 of the Rotax 582 Install Manual.

Posted

They say parallel to reduce chance of over pressure.  Using the right facet pump your not going to over pressure it.  Both pumps are designed to fail open.  Many many people are running the pumps in series and have not had any issues.  I know its has saved my butt more than once.  I don't run with the pump on all the time.  I will kick it on as a boost pump to prime the lines then turn it off to start the engine.  In flight when lines or filters have become restricted it gave me just enough fuel flow to get on the ground safely.

If you are running in parallel you will need check valves on both pumps to keep the fuel flowing to the carbs and not back flowing though the other pump.  Series is really the easiest and best option in my mind.

:BC:

3 people like this

Posted

In the UK with it in series the aircraft will not get a permit to fly.....as it is against the manufacture requirements.

Posted

The suggestion is for tanks mounted below the pulse fuel pump.  It is not a manufactures requirement, more of a suggestion.

I guess I look at things a bit differently.  What was the intent of the suggestion and how can I meet that intent.  If you run a 4 PSI facet pump there is no way that the overpressure can occur therefore, the statement about overpressure is pretty much null and void, not to mention it does not apply to you to begin with as your tanks are well above the pulse pump :) 

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Taken from Rotax Ricks frequently asked questions page.  Hope it helps.....

"With the two fuel pumps in this system (one pulse and one electric), should they be installed in parallel or in series to the carburetors?  On your fuel system, the order of components should be: the flow out of the fuel tank, to a fuel filter, then the primer pickup line, the Fawcet fuel pump, then the pulse pump, then a fuel filter in each line from the pulse pump to the carburetor(s). You must use the 2 to 4 psi Fawcet fuel pump in your system. That, plus the pulse pump will provide 9 psi. The floats in your carburetor(s) will take that pressure without any problem. DO NOT run it parallel . Run in series with no bypass.  SIMPLE IS BEST."

2 people like this

Posted

Cjflyer, I installed my pumps exactly that way, using a Facet 4 psi pump, and it all works perfectly.  It is a requirement for the 670 which needs the extra fuel flow that the Facet is capable of.

BTW, I one time bought a $10 ebay chinese knockoff pump that looks just like the Facett, and has the same markings. It lasted about 30 hours and died.

Posted

+1 on the Chinese knockoff pump.Mine didn't make 100hrs and fed bits of rubber into my filter.The facet's are generally very reliable.

1 person likes this