Avid Project for Sale

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is an assemblage of parts I have collected in the process of rebuilding several Avids. The fuselage is a later model, as it has provisions for a nosewheel. I do not know the history, nor is there paperwork.

The wings are speedwings, with heavy walled tubing. Everything needs a good cleaning and inspection, but there is enough there to assemble an airplane. One wingtip needs repair. I have the pieces, I just didn't do it as I was considering extending the wings. There will need to be some cutting and fitting done at the horiz stab, and a new set of "v" struts made. That's all the major stuff. There is an engine mount and a rudder. I have the controls. Matco wheels and brakes.

It is on conventional gear.  I do not have the nose gear hardware. Everything firewall back, $2500. I have too many projects and not nearly enough time to finish them. Time to thin the herd. This is still available as of May 20. I already have two flying Avids, a third about 95% done, and a stretched fuselage heavy hauler waiting to be built. If somebody doesn't get this, my daughter will scrap it when she cleans out my estate.

Bob McCaa

Lewistown Pa.  (Aircraft at KRVL)

717 363 7552

MVC-006S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

Edited by whizzers
update information.

Posted

Bob, can you post some pictures of the rear spar carry through area?  Also, the diameter of the top tube of the seat truss.  Trying to figure if it is a MK IV fuselage.  Any idea what the N # was originally on that fuselage? Again, trying to figure out what model it actually was.   JImChuk

Posted

Is this the same Bob McCaa (Retired Fire Instructor from State Fire Academy)?  Would you be willing to sell the mains for the nosegear config?  Randy

Posted

I figured there can't be another Bob McCaa! Its been a long time my friend.  Sounds good! I'll give you a call this week and maybe stop up this week.  Cheers Randy Himes from Chambersburg Fire Dept.

Posted

Bob, can you post some pictures of the rear spar carry through area?  Also, the diameter of the top tube of the seat truss.  Trying to figure if it is a MK IV fuselage.  Any idea what the N # was originally on that fuselage? Again, trying to figure out what model it actually was.   JImChuk

Front truss top rail measures .625. Top of seat back is .500. There is a metal plate welded in the rear carry through both front and back. Looks to be about 2 inches by three inches. The rudder pedals have a provision for a push-pull rod to the nose gear.

Something I found, the horiz stab was not off this fuselage. It is set up for the offset rudder, which this does not have. It will take a bit of hot work in that ares to resolve.

Seattruss.jpg

Carry2.jpg

Carry.jpg

Nosegear.jpg

Posted

Bob,  I would say that is a MK IV fuselage judging by the gussets on the rear carry through and the 5/8" OD tube on the seat truss.  Wish it was closer... JImChuk

Posted

I believe it is a MK IV

Posted

Hi Avid Randy,

I have a set of mains for a nose wheel config. Let me know if you are still looking.

Best,

Rick