26” bushwheel ?

35 posts in this topic

Posted

i have a chance to buy a set of 26” bushwheels  that have some bad spots on them for 300$ shipped they are not weather checked just spots worn through.   My thought is to buy them and spray the spots with bedliner. 

Thoughts?

9A5FFA77-F3EB-4573-9918-3DD2ADC2EA09.png

Posted

Trent Palmer mention someone who can mend used bushwheels in this video https://youtu.be/C5gFvqi6bBs

Fred

Posted

Trent and I are in contact on this project. He has one product on his to test I have another.  I’m using Herculiner with mixed results.  I believe my problem is poor prep before coating.  More to come this summer.

Spot repairs probably won’t work. You will need to coat the entire casing to get even balanced use. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy Tyler has done his tires as well.  I am pretty sure he has done a write up on this is the past on this forum.

:BC:

Posted

What is Trent using and has his results been any better than yours?

Fred I watched the video and I only heard he sent them to a place in Idaho.  Which is good if it works because I live in Idaho  

I will search for Randy’s write up

thanks

jamie

Posted

What is Trent using and has his results been any better than yours?

Fred I watched the video and I only heard he sent them to a place in Idaho.  Which is good if it works because I live in Idaho  

I will search for Randy’s write up

thanks

jamie

correct, but I'm pretty sure there is more than one knowing Trent on this list that can get the info if needed... 

Posted

I sent Trent a message on Instagram see what he has to say

i had no luck finding Randy’s post

thanks

jamie

Posted

Jamie,  I remember Randy's post and photo, but I don't think he described the process he used - My memory is not good now, but sometimes it is right. ???  EDMO

Posted

Thanks Ed 

I wasn’t able to find anything close maybe someone else will have better luck. 

Posted (edited)

i bought 1 years ago desser bush weel  27 1 did a short video information  last year . but i was busy and didnt do anithing else .  now i just finish fitting disque on the rim and i am ready to try that tire this summer . of course the alaskan bushweel are better but because the price , i tryed the desser aero classic. the video is in french but i wrote comments in englis , this is only a information video.

w1wcr8.jpg

25qvjvr.jpg

Edited by bush flyer
add information
1 person likes this

Posted

I am not sure, it is possible that the write up Randy did was on the forum prior to the crash we had that wiped out a bunch of posts.  It seems to me that he used some sort of a glue or cleaner for conveyor belt repair then the bedliner to top coat and that gave the best results to keep it sticking to the tire.  I may just be day dreaming too.  :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

Seems the full write up was on BCP.  Randy did use the 2 part conveyor belt repair goop on his tires though.

Posted

I read the link on BCP it talks about Hercoliner but not what kind of glue or cleaner was used.  You think MEK would be adequate?

Posted

I did see where CG said just soap and water.. I am sure MEK would be more than adequate.  As always, test on a small area first.

Posted

No that's where I went wrong.  Most soap has silicone it it, so that's very bad. 

I used MEK and DuPont Prepsolve which work, but not well.  

Zylene is is the thinner in Herculiner and is the cleaning solvent that should be used. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well that is good to know

Thanks very much

Posted

I used Loctite Fixmaster Flex 80 Putty with the Loctite Fixmaster Flex Cleaner. I worked really well to repair the tire they were worn down to the threads but is pretty expensive stuff so would not try to coat the entire tire.  I after using the Loctite stuff on the badly worn areas I have been cleaning them with jist dish soap and rinsing them well, and then coating the tread area with the bedliner every year just as a sacrificial wear surface. It wears and tends to crack and flake off but it does what it needs to do and just cut off the loose pieces and put a new coat on when needed.

Posted

Thanks I will give that a try 

any particular brand of bedliner?  Spray on or roll on?

Posted

Rolled on “Herculiner” seems to be the product of choice for cost and availability. 

Posted (edited)

I have had good luck with Herculiner, I wash the tires off real good ,then give them a decent sanding with rough sand paper to rough them up ,then clean them Real Good with xylene ,then I go in and if there are any deeper cuts I fill them by forcing the herculiner into the cuts with a putty knife let that setup for an hour or so if the cuts are deep. Before using the herculiner Mix the crap out of it and I don't thin it.I then use the foam roller that comes with the gal kit and start rolling it on nice and even and I mix it again every couple minutes in the can to keep the rubber compound mixed into the  rest of it .I let that coat setup for 5 or 6 hours then apply a second coat and leave that for at least 3 or 4 days to CURE. I have good luck BUT I stay off pavement if possible and do NOT apply brakes and make a pivot turn on pavement or you will cause cuts in the herculiner and possibly the tire itself .

GOOD LUCK

Here are the actual instructions on how to use Herculiner on rubber.

RUBBER--- Clean well using detergent or cleaning solvent, removing all oil, grease, wax and dirt. Rinse well and allow to dry. Roughen surface aggressively and then clean with Xylene (Xylol), Acetone or MEK cleaning solution. Allow solvent to dry completely before applying HERCULINER. HERCULINER coating will not bond to chlorinated rubber.

More actual instruction

HERCULINER APPLICATION TIPS SURFACE PREPARATION IMPORTANT READ CAREFULLY! HERCULINER will bond to all prepared, clean, thoroughly dry surfaces. On sound-painted surfaces, paint must be fully dried or cured to manufacturer’s specifications. The solvents in HERCULINER will not soften or attack properly dried or cured paint. GENERAL DIRECTIONS Always clean the surface of all oily or waxy contaminants by using recommended cleaning solvent–leave no residue. DO’S AND DON’TS DO • Thin HERCULINER with Xylene (Xylol) only. • Use Xylene (Xylol) if available, otherwise use Acetone or MEK cleaning solvent only for surface preparation. • Allow solvent to dry completely before applying HERCULINER. • Clean surface with strong aggressive detergent. • Ensure surface is completely dry and/or cured if recently painted, before applying HERCULINER. • Test doubtful surfaces with HERCULINER beforehand. • Apply 2nd coat within 24 hours of 1st coat application. • Wear chemical resistant gloves.

DON"T • Mix any solvent with HERCULINER except for Xylene (Xylol). • Clean surfaces with lacquer thinners or any solvent containing alcohol, which will prevent HERCULINER from curing. • Assume surface is clean unless you have cleaned it yourself. • Apply HERCULINER if temperature is below 32˚F or above 95˚F. • Use a laquer-based primer.

Edited by little rocket
had a mistake
1 person likes this

Posted

have you taken any pictures you can post?

Posted

Chris my first post at the top of the page has the only picture I have received 

Posted

I actually meant pics from someone who has successfully retreaded tires using this method. Would be neat to see what the process and finished product looks like. I think of bedliner materials as hard like on my pickup. Can't figure out how it works for tires but is VERY intriguing!

Posted (edited)

Herculiner is just like rubber and I can take my 31 inch bushwheels that have to coats on them and let the air out of them and push down on them till they go flat and the herculiner flexes with the rubber of the tires.

herculiner_1.thumb.jpg.07d649fe865746b6b

Edited by little rocket

Posted

The Herculiner is what I have been using also.  It wears pretty fast so still try to not land on pavement, stick to the gravel and grass as much as possible.  When it is completely worn off of areas at the end of the summer I figure I just extended my tire life by that much.