26” bushwheel ?

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey trent Palmer has some neat vids concerning the bush wheel saga...

Posted

I bought those 26” Bushwheels and finally got around to try to mount them and there is about 2 3/4” distance I would need to draw them together to use my avid wheels. Is that possible or do I need to build a spacer?  If I build a spacer then I would have to have a longer axle. 

Thanks

jamie 

Posted

With the integrated tube, drawing the beads in closer than the recommended 6X6 wheels would be risky of pinching the "tube" between the wheel halves.  Pinching the tube will render the tires junk.

Posted

I will measure my rims tomorrow 

I’m hoping they are 6x6 they the stock avid wheels 

Posted

I think I have heard of guys putting something stiff around the rim and tightening it up, then pulling the piece out to keep from pinching the tube.  I wonder if a gallon ice cream bucket cut up so you just have the center band left would do the trick.  It would probably be flexable enough to pull it out after the rim is tightened together.  A thought anyway.... JImChuk

Posted

Jim that is an interesting thought but not sure how one could remove the plastic from inside  the wheels?  These are the ones I got from you and they are mostly solid on the inside not sure if it could be pulled back out the bearing holes?

Posted

What my thinking is, once the rim is bolted tight together, push down on the tire so you can grab the plastic with plyers and pull it out.  It would slide between the tire and the rim.  Grab it where it would overlap on it's self.  Might have to kind of walk it around the rim, kneeling on the tire as you work your way around.  JImChuk

Posted

I will measure my rims tomorrow 

I’m hoping they are 6x6 they the stock avid wheels 

I think my friend Paul had "stock" Avid-Matco wheels and they were 6x4".  He added the ring to widen them.

Give Matco a call.  Get the proper parts so that you don't wreck your expensive tires.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was just looking in my Avid manual, and see the pictures of the wheels.  They are 4" wide from the looks of it.  Width looks to be 2/3 the amount of the height.  Something in the back of my mind is telling me they are Cleveland wheels, that's why I looked in the manual in the first place, but didn't see a mention of a name.  I could just as easily be wrong on the brand though, as I'm not at all sure, maybe I'm mixing the ones up from the Chief in my mind.  JImChuk

Posted

The "stock" avid wheels are MATCOs.  I had to put 2 spacers in each one wheel when I put the 30" airstreaks on them.  You should be able to get away with one spacer in each wheel with the 26" tires.  Call Matco, I am CERTAIN they have dealt with this a lot and can tell you exactly what you need to buy.  Remember to get longer bolts to put the wheel halves together and longer axles as well.

:BC:

2 people like this