Parting out A model Avid STOL wing

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  I hauled my friend's plane over to my place today.  His widow is worried about liability issues, and so she wants to part it out.   It was flying last fall, and would fly today as far as I know.  65 HP Hirth 3203 engine that was installed new, last fall as well.  Has only 5 hrs on the engine. Sad to see it pieced out, but that is the way it's going to go.  Wings are good, flaperons are good, really everything for that matter.  If anyone has any interest in parts of the plane, let me know.  We haven't cancelled the registration yet, but it's going to happen.  Plane had a total of about 190 hrs on it, has home made skis, is on a trailer that will be for sale as well.  Well let me know....  JImChuk  

Photo0345.jpg

Photo0346.jpg

Photo0348.jpg

Photo0349.jpg

Photo0350.jpg

Photo0351.jpg

Posted (edited)

I might be interested in the full tailwheel assembly and rudder pedals with brake master cylinders and brake lines if the price is right.  I would need measurements on the rudder pedals to ensure that they would fit mine.

Edited by TSoftware
clarification

Posted

SAD....

1 person likes this

Posted

Could she donate it to my Personal airplane Museum  :)  I would be happy to take it off her hands

Posted

Well Jim i think i like that prop, would that fit my 582 and Cbox on the BlueFox? Any idea what the price is for that? 

Posted

What is the gear ratio on your C box?  It may work if you had the 2.62 gear ratio.  This prop is 66" long.  Might be on the short side??? JImChuk

Posted

Sorry to hear about your friend!  It is sad to see the plane parted out.  Most people wish they made it that far with these kits and that one actually made it!

Possibly some pics of interior and instruments.  Might b interested in tailwheel if tsoftware isn't depending on what it is.  What are you thinking for the Hirth?  Cheers Randy 

Posted

Just take the wings and engine off.  Sell it to one person in three parts.  Problem solved.

1 person likes this

Posted

Possibly some pics of interior and instruments.  Might b interested in tailwheel if tsoftware isn't depending on what it is.  What are you thinking for the Hirth?  Cheers Randy 

On the earliest Avids, the factory built their own tailwheel, basically a fork for the wheel, and a cross piece on top of the fork that the tail wheel springs hooked to.  Used a 4" or 5" OD wheel.   On the Hirth engine, I have a receipt showing he paid $6960 for the engine last fall.  It has a 2.59 gear ratio in the gearbox.  He did 2.1 hrs ground break in and 4.1 flight hours after that.  (my  earlier math was wrong, 6.2 hrs total).  Hirth claims 1000 or 1200 hr TBO on this engine.  (can't remember which right off hand) Have about 2 1/2 gallons of blue max oil that goes with the engine.  $5000 + shipping for the engine.  I'll try to get the tail wheel pics in a bit.  JImChuk

PS, don't forget, she's a widow, and a friend of mine 

Posted

Well that i cant answer as i have no idea what ratio the box is.  Guess best way to find that out is to count the teeth on the gears?  

Posted

Or else count how many times a piston goes up and down in one revolution of the prop shaft.  Or vice versa.  Pull a spark plug, use a probe to find when it comes up to TDC.  JImChuk

Posted

Bucky, or anyone else for that matter, I talked to a guy a couple of days ago that had a Perry prop and 2   68" IVO blades on barnstormers for sale.  He seems to want to make a deal on these props pretty bad.  Maybe no body but me responded.  He wanted $300 for the Perry, but will take less, even asked me for an offer.  Wanted $340 for the IVO blades, they are in real good shape, and he was open to offers on them as well.  Here is a link to his add.,  I had a perry on a 532, and it worked real good.  They came with the Avid kits if you chose a wood prop for the 532.  532 is supposed to make the same amount of power as a 582, so maybe it would work...???   JImChuk

PERRY PROP 71X37 AVID KITFOXUP FOR GRABS Beautiful Perry 32 wood laminate propeller, Rotax 75mm pattern for 503,532. 71X37 open to an offer. • Contact Sterling Boettger, Owner - located Montney, BC Canada • Telephone: 250-263-5653 . 1-250-827-3661 • Posted April 15, 2018

Posted

I have a Perry prop on my 582 - it is what Avid included with the kit at the time (1991 - Complete STOL kit w/engine and prop was $12,995!).  Seems to work fine, but I have nothing to compare it against.

Mark

Posted

Interested in the flaperons. Assuming the rib tails were the same on the A as the rest of them??

Posted

I might be interested in the full tailwheel assembly and rudder pedals with brake master cylinders and brake lines if the price is right.  I would need measurements on the rudder pedals to ensure that they would fit mine

I finally got some pictures yesterday of the rudder pedals, so here they are.  A bit of explaining here first, Jim was kind of a big guy, and the Avid A is kind of small, so he rigged it up as a single seater.  He sat in the center, and had the toe brakes on the outside rudder pedals.  Put an s curve in the joy stick so it was in the center of the plane.  It worked.  I flew the plane once myself several years ago.  Any way, that explains what you will see in the pictures.  Not trying to avoid a sale, but I wonder if there is a set of pedals around somewhere that are set up for hydraulic brakes already??  It would be less work for sure.   Anyway, here are the pics with a tape measure showing lengths.   JimChuk

Photo0386.jpg

Photo0387.jpg

Photo0388.jpg

Photo0389.jpg

Photo0390.jpg

Photo0394.jpg

Posted

I might be interested in the trailer. Where is it located?

Posted

located in northern Mn  JImChuk

Posted

Looks like this has cable brakes on it, so not what I was looking for.  I was hoping, with the bigger wheels, that this had already been converted.  From your description of the tailwheel assembly, it sounds like it is like the one that I already have.

Posted

I forgot to post a picture of the tail wheel.  The owner of this Avid made a new tailwheel fork for the plane that would take a larger wheel than the shopping cart sized one they came with originally.  The small pneumatic tire in the picture came from Northern Hydraulics.  2" wheel size I think.  Bearing were replaced with some better ones.  Here is the wheel he used.  I did the same thing on one of my early Avids.  JImChuk

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660401_200660401

Photo0408.jpg

Posted

If anyone is interested in anything on this plane, the owner for sure wants to part it out.   65 HP engine with 6.2 hrs on it. $5000 plus shipping.  New last August.  STOL wings and flaperons $2500.  Give a holler if anything interests you.  Have a 55 HP Hirth that is at the shop being gone through, new seals and a complete inspection inside and out that will be up for sale soon.  That engine had about 240 hrs on it.  Supposed to have a TBO of 1000 hrs on these Hirths.  218-two five four- 24zero four.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

/

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

/

??  JImChuk

Posted

Any interest in anything from the plane?  Wings, flaperons, and lift struts are sold.  VSI and Alt gone as well.  The daughter wants to keep the fuselage and cowl, but the controls and tailfeathers are available.  He had an interesting set up for having a 5 gallon gas tank behind the seat.  Used a facet pump to pump into the main (header) tank.  Only way it interfered with anything is you had to unhook the flaperon control rod on that side to fold the wing.  He did it every time he went flying, so it wasn't much of an issue.  JImChuk

Photo0491.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Need turtle deck nose crowling and possibly wings with flaperons how wide is the seat shoot me some prices thanks 

Posted

Need any interior left