Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BeLite Floats

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Interesting article in June 2018 Kitplanes mag about the new 2-place BeLite CHIPPER Kitplane - Also mentioned that they are planning to make floats for the 1232 GW bird - Bet that they will be the lightest floats yet?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You are probably right. I would guess honey-comb aluminum and foam board. Did the article say what the outer skin would be? I have somewhat closely followed BeLite since they had a presence on the web. James has some interesting ideas in regards to design and materials. Seeing his ultralights evolve into the Chipper, makes me want to keep up with whatever comes next. I know form follows function but, at present, the Chipper still has a fairly 'board & slab' appearance. Hard to get past that without impacting the build-time figure. His instrument offerings may be what keeps him in business while he develops his aircraft kits. One thing is for sure, James has way more brains than I have ever pretended to have!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You are probably right. I would guess honey-comb aluminum and foam board. Did the article say what the outer skin would be? I have somewhat closely followed BeLite since they had a presence on the web. James has some interesting ideas in regards to design and materials. Seeing his ultralights evolve into the Chipper, makes me want to keep up with whatever comes next. I know form follows function but, at present, the Chipper still has a fairly 'board & slab' appearance. Hard to get past that without impacting the build-time figure. His instrument offerings may be what keeps him in business while he develops his aircraft kits. One thing is for sure, James has way more brains than I have ever pretended to have!

No other info in the article except that they plan on making floats.  I wonder what the price will be, since the basic plane kit is $12K.  I agree with what you said.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO