Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fabric Repair

6 posts in this topic

Posted

All the fabric covering the under camber part of the fuel tank is sagging.  Any suggestion how to get glue in their without cutting and patching.

Thanks 

Posted

Jeff, Is the tank leaking? Was the Stewart System glue used to install the fabric? I have heard of people injecting glue under the fabric using a small syringe, but you'd have to be certain that the surface would allow the glue to adhere. If the tank isn't leaking it could be a case of the tank surface still having some release agent left on it that didn't allow the glue to fully adhere. If that's the case you may be left with few options other than cutting out the fabric and starting over with the cleaning of the tank before gluing the fabric back on or using a new piece of dacron. Not much help I'm afraid but some things worth considering.

Jack

Posted

Jack thanks for the reply.  The tank is not leaking for sure.  Syringe is a possible method.

Posted

What covering system did you use?  If poly fiber, use the syringe and polybrush.  Just got to come up with a way to hold the fabric tight against the tank while the poly brush dries.  If the wing was off I would turn it upside down and lay a sandbag on the area I shot with the poly brush, and after it set up, move to another spot and do it again.  JImChuk

Posted

What covering system did you use?  If poly fiber, use the syringe and polybrush.  Just got to come up with a way to hold the fabric tight against the tank while the poly brush dries.  If the wing was off I would turn it upside down and lay a sandbag on the area I shot with the poly brush, and after it set up, move to another spot and do it again.  JImChuk

tranny jack and some creative wood work to hold it onto the wing while the polytak dries. 

Posted

I was just thinking about a handyman jack with a carpet wrapped piece of plywood on top of a 2x4.

Jack