Tailwheel tightening

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Morning Gang!

Today’s question hails from the aft end of my plane....When my friend flew the plane down from Cambridge he noted that the tail wheel (Maule design) felt like it was rather easy to go into “cantering” mode rather than stay locked up. So I’ve researched how to rebuild it. My CFI the other day suggested I physically lock the tailwheel (no caste ring AT all) and I see the benefit to this. The 25¢ question is how to do this without ruining the assembly? I could just drill a hole a pass a bolt through it yet I feel like there has got to be a better way that I am just not seeing. I think I’ve read most of the forums comments about locking tailwheel sandy just haven’t found the answer..TIA

PS- I’ve been HS taxiing in the plane... oooooooh, I like it, I like it a LOT! Can’t wait till Tom Mullally gets back from his dive for more lessons

Posted

You remove the cam on the outside of the assembly by removing the two small screws. That is what releases the wheel.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You remove the cam on the outside of the assembly by removing the two small screws. That is what releases the wheel.

What Paul says (my cam is installed).  The reduced turning radius has proved NOT a factor in the small areas I've been operating in at all.

Image result for maule tailwheel cam

Image result for maule tailwheel cam

Edited by allonsye

Posted

Yup,just remove the cam.Carry a screwdriver to unlock the assembly to back your plane into the hanger.

Or install a Matco.

Posted

If you tighten the springs from rudder to arms this will prevent the wheel from cantering as easy.  I had stiff springs last year and rarely would my wheel canter.  I did not like because I could not turn around in tight places so I got looser springs.  The difference was amazing but required me to be on the rudder and brakes more to keep from ground looping.  Stiffer springs will help solve your problem.

Posted

If you tighten the springs from rudder to arms this will prevent the wheel from cantering as easy.  I had stiff springs last year and rarely would my wheel canter.  I did not like because I could not turn around in tight places so I got looser springs.  The difference was amazing but required me to be on the rudder and brakes more to keep from ground looping.  Stiffer springs will help solve your problem.

.........and do use the compression type springs to get that feel lv2ply describes

comprspringkit.jpg