Cut down an ivo prop

12 posts in this topic

Posted

hey im not sure if this has been discussed but i have a 3 blade ivo prop that has some damage on all three tips about 3/4" and wanted to cut the damaged ends off, the blades r 34 1/2" long from center of mounting bolt holes, not planning on flyin this prop as its my old 25-30 yr old discontinued GA, just want to use to mount for first startup, warmup and low rpm (under 3000rpm) of my 582 in the BlueFox.  I have looked at a few sites with good info, but would like the forms opinion on cuttin it correctly, u know me always learnin from those that already been there.  Thanks everyone for all ur help, Bucky 

image.jpeg

Posted

Judging from that length, it must be a 72" diameter prop.  IVO says they can be cut down to a minimum of 48"  I've cut down oneonce, put a stop on my power miter saw, and cut the same amount off each blade by holding each blade against the stop and cutting that same amount off each blade.  Being as how the ends are buggered up, you cant' do that.  If it was me, I would put a 5/16" bolt sticking up in a length of wood that I could drop each blade onto and a stop the piece of wood bumps against on the saw.  Cut each blade without cutting the board off and you should then have all the blades the same length.  I would cut at least 1 1/2" off the blades.  Maybe do the worst one first, and inspect it real well to make sure there are no cracks or weak areas left in the prop blade, then cut the others.  Advice worth what you paid for it.... JImChuk

Posted

Having slung a blade before, I wouldn’t run it. Look at a ceiling fan that is a little out of balance. Those blades took a hard lick. Is it worth buggering up your engine, motor mount, cowling, etc if that lets go?  Centrifugal force is working hard trying to seperate the blades from the hub. I’d use it as wall art and take great liberties with the truth concockting a kick ass story about how that happened. Probably something involving strippers, a Grizzly bear, and a full moon. Bryce

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yes the blades where to long and short pedistals on the skis, just wanted to start motor up for first time run and i thought u suppose to have a prop on when startin motor.  Probably wont run for more than 15min at close to idel to check leaks, exh temps, carb settins, the plane is just in "mockup" once all is good im going to totaly disassemblie and recover ect. If they all same lenght and weight same i cant c how out of balance could happen. 

Edited by Buckchop

Posted (edited)

I think Bryce is worried that a less than obvious crack will cause a piece to break off or the hub will fail. And then all hell will break loose.

Edited by RobS
1 person likes this

Posted

Rob,

Your right! 

Posted

I would not run that prop on any engine. But I wouldn't let an Ivoprop near any engine I own anyway. 

Posted

I would give IVO a call and ask them what they think.  JImChuk

Posted

Well we know what ivo will say.  Rest of prop is ok,it just been tagged on the tip, Just wanted to start it up, and cant afford to buy a prop now, not interested in takin prop off other kitfox either.  And im guess u shouldnt start up the 582/c box without a prop? Or is that ok? 

Posted

Engine manufacturers have been testing and doing run ins with short clubs for a very long time. If the blades are not damaged below your trim line, I don't see why not. MOI certainly won't be an issue. I know someone who used a pusher prop on a tractor to test run a 912 on occasion with no issue.

Posted

I agree there should be no issue cutting that down

Posted (edited)

I believe that I read the instructions from IVO about cutting the blade tips.  Try to get a copy of that - AND carefully inspect the hub ends before using it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO