Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on Instrumentation for experimentals

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Fellas. Was informed today by the DPE that will be performing my checkride that my plane must be equipped with an attitude indicator and heading indicator in order to perform all of the manouvers needed for my private pilot checkride. I am wondering what the most cost effective way of equipping the panel would be. I see some MGL products at a decent pricepoint but wonder what else is out there and who has had luck with what. Im attaching a picture of my panel. Im planning on putting the attitude indicator where the tach is currently (and putting on a tinytach instead) and heading in place of the compass. I think Id prefer to upsize the holes as well so all 6 gauges match

6745fb149b4bd4f75aea.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Posted

Dynon D2

Posted

I used an MGL Xtreme EMS in my Cozy to replace the TACH so I could get 4x EGT/CHT, digital tach, fuel flow, manifold pressure, OAT, Carb temp, and engine compartment temp all in that one instrument and it has worked really well.  The MGL Xtreme EFIS doesn't cost much more and gives you all that plus built in GPS derived bank angle and if you add an external AHRS will give you full PFD.  Engine information requires a remote box that connects to engine sensors and the remote box connects to the display with a serial link.

-Marlon G

Posted (edited)

I think your DPE (Dipstick Pilot Examiner) is full of BS!  Check the FAR's for required VFR instrumentation - I see all you need:  Heading = Compass,  VSI and Slip/Turn indicators show attitude,  Altimeter shows height above MSL, and RPMs, Oil Pressure, etc., show engine condition and sight gages show fuel level.  I believe that a Basic 6-Pak is all that is required unless you are doing an instrument rating.   Did I leave something out? - Airspeed too.   If I am "behind the times", there are CFI guys on here that can advise you.  Are you just trying to convince your wife that you want some electronic instruments?  Otherwise - How in hell did we ever get a PPL in a Cub or Champ?  ???    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

What Ed said X2 

:BC:

Posted

Only thing I can think of is he’s trying to figure out a way to evaluate steep turns without an Attitude indicator. The V brace level on the horizon works pretty good. 

3 people like this