Polishing scratches out of windshield

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I managed to hit my windshield on my new Avid putting the cowl top back on the other day. You can’t feel it with your fingernail. I tried the plastic polishes I had on my shelf on the end of it in the corner and it never phased it. This stuff sure seems to scratch way too easy. Open to any products or ideas you may have seen that works and won’t leave swirl marks. 

Posted

Furniture polish/wax will sometimes make the scratches look like they've gone away.  JImChuk

Posted

Furniture polish/wax will sometimes make the scratches look like they've gone away.  JImChuk

Thanks Jim. By the looks of it I think that the right product would almost "wipe" it off.

Posted

There are Kits specifically made for polishing scratches out of aircraft windows - probably $pendy?  Maybe something like the kits you use to polish the plastic covers they now put over car headlights?   EDMO

Posted

The stuff sold by panel beater supplies for "restoring" yellowed headlights is real good,looks like toothpaste !

Posted

Novis Plastic polish will work wonders! Stage 3&2 took my windshield from horrible to only the deepest scratch. I clean with stage 1. Good Luck, B

Posted

I used this years ago to take a really nasty scratch out of a Europa windscreen. (spinner departed in flight, don't ask) works well but follow the tutorial. 

http://micro-surface.com/

1 person likes this

Posted

I was eyeing the kits at ACS.  The description sure sounds good....

Anyone tried this?

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/scratchoff_1.php?clickkey=9511

We used one of the kits in Av School - I cant tell you which one, but it worked good - with lots of work from coarsest grit down to micro-fine.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Novis Plastic polish will work wonders! Stage 3&2 took my windshield from horrible to only the deepest scratch. I clean with stage 1. Good Luck, B

I ordered of this. I’ll report back.

Posted

I used Novis polish and it removed the majority of the scratches. I think if I spent some more time working with it they would all come out. Overall was happy with it. 

Posted (edited)

I was eyeing the kits at ACS.  The description sure sounds good....

Anyone tried this?

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/scratchoff_1.php?clickkey=9511

We used one of the kits in Av School - I cant tell you which one, but it worked good - with lots of work from coarsest grit down to micro-fine.  EDMO

More info on ACS micro-polishing kit - We were given a 1/4" thick piece of about 3" x 8" plexiglass which had been rough-sawed - We filed and scraped the edges and then started with the kit - The final outcome had to be SQUARE and good enough looking thru both vertical edges of the 3" wide sides to read a newspaper with no scratches showing.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Holy crap Ed!    Your like a plexiglass polishing Ninja!!!

Man, you're hired!   I'm sending ya all my plexi off my plane....    and a couple snowmo helmet face shields too!!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Holy crap Ed!    Your like a plexiglass polishing Ninja!!!

Man, you're hired!   I'm sending ya all my plexi off my plane....    and a couple snowmo helmet face shields too!!

:BC:

No Thanks!  I made an "A" in that class and QUICKLY RETIRED from Plexi-Polishing!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this