Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Loose Flap Handle

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I know in the past there have been several discussions on flap handles becoming loose.  I found this while installing mine and thought I would just throw it out there.  Probably would be more for the ones that bought used already assembled Avids since they would have no idea how or how well the builder assembled the bird. 

The kit provides you with the F-54 friction washer that goes between the frame and the handle and it has a 1/4" hole in the center from the factory.  In the first photo you will notice the side by side photo of the washer and where it is to be installed.  The center hole is 1/4" but where it is to be installed over the shoulder of the 1/4" bolt hole is 3/8".  So the washer needs to be drilled to 3/8" so that it will fit over the shoulder and sit tight against frame and the handle when installed.  If not like the second photo the only friction that you are getting is against that little shoulder around the bolt hole and that will wear very quickly and become loose for sure if installed that way.  The manual does not reference this in any way so some may have installed as is.  I don't know if anyone has installed this way or not but just thought I would show what I found while installing mine.  The third photo shows washer installed after being drilled and this would allow the friction to be spread across the whole washer from frame to the flap handle.  Maybe this will help someone some day.  Cheers Randy  (I guess the photos got backwards but I'm sure you can figure it out)

Flap Washer Installed resized.jpg

Flap Washer Top View resized.jpg

Flap Washer Side by Side resized.jpg

Edited by Avid Randy
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Good observation Randy.  I'll inspect mine. I suspect though after 270 hrs and 25 yrs, it's probably worn out and should be replaced.

So hows that build going anyways?

paul

Edited by allonsye
1 person likes this

Posted

It's going Good!  Not as Good as I would like though as it always goes.:(  Will be posting  progress pics soon.  Its not without some aggravation though but alot of Fun as well!  Cheers Randy 

1 person likes this

Posted

If you're still looking for a prop, let me know.  I have an extra and complete IVO IFA assembly from spinner to controls.  I've not made up my mind but could possibly be persuaded to part with it. You have first dibs.