Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

soft brakes?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok as stubborn as I am its time to ask for some help

what I have done so far is

new soft brake pads and bled brakes from the bottom up and again top down and changed the geometry of the pedals 

definitely have great breaks when they work but this is what I am having.

When I take my feet completely off the pedals and then put them back on and press the brakes the stopping power is awesome. But when I press the pedals then release  them just a bit then push on them hard I have no brakes at all.  I must let the masters completely come all the way back to work. Is this a sign of masters that need to be rebuilt or still air in the lines? What do you guys think?

Posted

What masters do you have?  sounds to me like it time for a "rebuild"  if its the MC1 masters (matco with built in resi) then its pretty easy to pull them apart and look at them.  The little rubber pad on the bottom is barely more than a bad joke and might have come loose from the bottom of the plunger.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

What masters do you have?  sounds to me like it time for a "rebuild"  if its the MC1 masters (matco with built in resi) then its pretty easy to pull them apart and look at them.  The little rubber pad on the bottom is barely more than a bad joke and might have come loose from the bottom of the plunger.

The MC5 also has the resi on the top - Are these an "improved version"?  Maybe larger bore?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No Idea what they are here is a pic.

100_0986.JPG

Posted (edited)

No Idea what they are here is a pic.

100_0986.JPG

TJay,  Matco might help you identify them - rebuild kits are cheap.  I wish I could help since I have sets of Piper, Grove, MC3 and 2 lengths of MC4, but all of them have external reservoirs.   None have been tested.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Those are the matco MC-1 masters.  The rebuild kit is around 10 bucks each.  It is really stupid simple to do as well.

http://www.matcomfg.com/MC1REBUILDKIT-idv-3122-46.html

I would pull them apart and clean them up and make sure the rubber "foot" is still attached to the bottom of the piston and that the foot is swiveling like it should.  They are pretty self explanatory when you pull them apart and they will make you scratch your head and wonder how the hell they stop you and give you any pressure at all :lol:

2 people like this

Posted

Ok got the brakes apart Don't see anything wrong with them other than lots of assembly grease left over inside. Also they don't look anything like the MC-1 rebuild kit shows? Any thoughts?

0520180949.jpg

0520180950.jpg

Posted (edited)

Did you check the MC5 rebuild kit parts?  Are the pistons 1/2" or 5/8"?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Did you check the MC5 rebuild kit parts?  Are the pistons 1/2" or 5/8"?  EDMO

They are 1/2 ED

Posted (edited)

Also they don't look anything like the MC-1 rebuild kit shows? Any thoughts?

Umm, my thought is they don't look like any MC-1 cylinders I have used. Never seen the integral 90* elbow and lower mount setup like you have, mine were like the pic from Matco below.

image.jpeg

They look a lot like Cleveland 10-34 or 10-35's but I think they actually might be one of the old, discontinued Gerdes brand. Check pg. 3-20 and 3-21 here >>> https://www.aircraftsupply.com/pdf-files/Cleveland-Seal-Repair-Kits.pdf

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

TJay,  Not trying to push any sales, but think it might be in your interests to junk or sell those MCs and go with another set which use a reservoir.  I can sell a set of Matco for $100 shipped or Grove for $200, with money back, cost of rebuild for Matco, or exchange if they don't work - Main thing is matching total length of MCs when extended.  I don't know if I have a reservoir I can find, but they are cheap.  Just trying to help you get that bird flying!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

TJay,  Not trying to push any sales, but think it might be in your interests to junk or sell those MCs and go with another set which use a reservoir.  I can sell a set of Matco for $100 shipped or Grove for $200, with money back, cost of rebuild for Matco, or exchange if they don't work - Main thing is matching total length of MCs when extended.  I don't know if I have a reservoir I can find, but they are cheap.  Just trying to help you get that bird flying!  EDMO

Now that you talk about that I do have a set of mc-4 laying somewhere Ill see if I can find them somewhere. And if they work. I bought them through Wentworth aircraft. If not ill let you know. Which are better Matco of Grove?

Posted

Now that you talk about that I do have a set of mc-4 laying somewhere Ill see if I can find them somewhere. And if they work. I bought them through Wentworth aircraft. If not ill let you know. Which are better Matco of Grove?

I cant tell you which is better - Grove costs more - probably cheaper to overhaul Matcos?  EDMO