Model 1 Kitfox

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Thought I should snap a few pics before I muddy it all up.

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

4 people like this

Posted

Looks really nice TJay!  When do we get the first flight reports?  I went back and looked for pictures of your build, trying to see how you widened the area around the doors.  Never really did find any.  Must have looked in the wrong place.  JImChuk

Posted

Looks really nice TJay!  When do we get the first flight reports?  I went back and looked for pictures of your build, trying to see how you widened the area around the doors.  Never really did find any.  Must have looked in the wrong place.  JImChuk

Once all the bugs are worked out I will do some flight testing. My home brew widening is nothing special

100_0692.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like the door bottoms are different than stock in your finished pictures.  Must have cut out the bottom of the door opining as well??   I was flying my Avid yesterday with 2 guys in it, and we both are about 5-9 and 215 or so.  Widening works!  JImChuk

Posted

Looks like the door bottoms are different than stock in your finished pictures.  Must have cut out the bottom of the door opining as well??   I was flying my Avid yesterday with 2 guys in it, and we both are about 5-9 and 215 or so.  Widening works!  JImChuk

door bottoms are a little different but not by much. I have about 30minutes taxi time in it now and It feels plenty wide for me. Thing goes nice and strait down the runway I sure do like that. Gonna head to the airport soon here and pull the master cylinders apart, See what I can find.

Posted

Once all the bugs are worked out I will do some flight testing. My home brew widening is nothing special

100_0692.JPG

TJay, I'm about to widen my 3 and would like to copy what you have done rather than simply order the Murle kit. Could you post some additional pictures of it? Top weld, middle, front back and what tube size(s)? Pretty please?

Posted

I think this widening technique is very interesting. The Murle's Williams kit, and those D.I.Y. jobs modeled after it, end up with more shoulder room and a wide door sill as best I can see. TJay's approach appears to open up some additional hip room as well. Of course, one change can cause that trickle down effect and this would be no exception. Not a big deal if you use/make a sling seat perhaps, but I see fiberglass work in your future if you want the hard seat pan.

Posted

I think this widening technique is very interesting. The Murle's Williams kit, and those D.I.Y. jobs modeled after it, end up with more shoulder room and a wide door sill as best I can see. TJay's approach appears to open up some additional hip room as well. Of course, one change can cause that trickle down effect and this would be no exception. Not a big deal if you use/make a sling seat perhaps, but I see fiberglass work in your future if you want the hard seat pan.

You are so so dead nuts on. One thing always leads to another. Seat pan, your making new doors, Fabric work is way more time consuming, Cutting tubes out and changing angles means transferring loads in different directions, but it does make it more roomie. The Model one is really bad had that tube right up against my hip,

Posted (edited)

James T,  here is what I did with the Kitfox 4 I'm rebuilding.  Nice thing about this, is it doesn't make any changes to the original structure.  Well at least not in the sense of removing or cutting existing tubes.   Being that the Kitfox 1 is way narrower to start with, and has the smaller bottom on the door, probably a different way may be better there.  On the Kitfox 4, I went 4" wider overall.  On my Avid MK IV, 3"  JImChuk

Photo1368.jpg

Photo1369.jpg

Photo1370.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim that is real close to how I did mine I just didn't have any more pictures