Long term storage ~ Winterize

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,  

I'm an Army guy about to deploy for nine months and looking for tips or steps to winterizing or storing my Avid Flyer Speedwind Mark IV.

I've been told to fog the cylinders with oil as well as place silicate bags in the engine compartment and exhaust to absorb moisture.

Curious abut the air filter, open exhaust, battery, fuel tanks, gear box.

Open to suggestions. :)

Steve

Posted

Block off the wing spars so mice do not live in wing.

Posted

Joey has done this on his avid a couple of times.  Drain the tanks and fog then engine good and you should be good to go.  Like Jeff said, blocking off the spars to keep critters out is a good thing as well!  Depending on what battery you have you probably don't need to do anything other than maybe disconnecting it.

:BC:

Posted

I drain out all the pump gas fuel and then put 2.5 gallons of Avgas in each side and run it 10-15 mins. I cover the cockpit area with a Queen size bed sheet and keep the battery on a battery tender. Are you in a hangar or outside? Stay safe and thanks for your sacrifice. I have spent 1600 days away from my family over the course of my career. Promoting to Mr on Dec 1st. My family is super excited.

2 people like this

Posted

Since I had a rat and mice taking my fuselage as living quarters I found that mothballs keeps them away....Never found out how they got into my fuselage as it's an Avid Catalina floatplane....watertight but not mouse tight it seems..go figure.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Since I had a rat and mice taking my fuselage as living quarters I found that mothballs keeps them away....Never found out how they got into my fuselage as it's an Avid Catalina floatplane....watertight but not mouse tight it seems..go figure.

DECON makes a big difference - One pack by each wheel - AS long as there are no cats or dogs around to eat it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey EDMO, I will not use any killing bait/pesticide as they tend to kill our beautiful owls we enjoy very much.....Also when the rodends die and decompose it releases these raticides in our groundwater..

I found the mothballs to smell bad enough that the rodends just don't come close without doing any harm....

I know I am a soft tree hugger....you got me uncovered:rolleyes:

Posted

Hey EDMO, I will not use any killing bait/pesticide as they tend to kill our beautiful owls we enjoy very much.....Also when the rodends die and decompose it releases these raticides in our groundwater..

I found the mothballs to smell bad enough that the rodends just don't come close without doing any harm....

The mice I poison die on my concrete floor.  No harm to any ground water. No owls in my hanger to eat the dead mice. I'm a tree hugger to. Save a tree and wipe your ass with a spotted owl.

1 person likes this

Posted

Make that a "brown spotted owl"   Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :lmao:JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The mice I poison die on my concrete floor.  No harm to any ground water. No owls in my hanger to eat the dead mice. I'm a tree hugger to. Save a tree and wipe your ass with a spotted owl.

I had the same results - My hangers/shop are sealed enough to keep most everything out - If a mouse slips in, it never gets out alive! 

Don't know much about owls, except that I was in a boat going to my duck blind one night and had to take a leak - when I stepped onto the bank I came face to face with a Great Horned Owl - We both quickly retreated, him flying just over my head - That was the last time I offered to get out of a boat at night to piss!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO