Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone have a LSRI-Airplane certification?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I've signed up to take this 2day/16hr LSA Repairman Inspection - Airplane course at OSH in July and wondering exactly what I'm getting into. As in, how much time is spent on engine, airframe, other etc. What depth of prior knowledge is required?

To be clear, this is not the 15 day/120hr LSRM-Airplane course. It will allow me to do annual condition inspections on my S-LSA after converting to E-LSA (or any other E-LSA that I own). 

Posted

Doug,

~12 years ago did the course for weight shift control. Last year I stayed after at Oshkosh for the fixed wing airplane version so I could get the certificate for my Avid. This time from Brian and Carol Carpenter/Rainbow Aviation, guessing same folks for you?. I got more out of it than I expected, Brian and Carol did a great job. I don't recall the balance other than a fair bit of time on the regs as some have a hard time getting it. Don't worry about prior knowledge, you'll do fine from what I've seen on the list. You'll be bored at times but it works out okay. 

Posted

I took the course a year ago ago last April. Took it from Brian and Carol at there operation in Corning CA. Very informative and I learned a lot. The repairman certificate is only goog for ELSA that you own. I enjoyed the class and like I said, it was very informative.

Posted

Based on my prior knowledge going in I was very disappointed with the Rainbow Aviation course. It was all theory and operation which I can find on YouTube. I wanted to learn where to check cables for wear, things that commonly break, fatigue cracks, and the list goes on. We spent hrs on how a 2-stroke flows air through a stroke. Paid my money got my piece of paper. Same as anything else Aviation related. 

Posted

I did the 16 hour course when I had my previous Kitfox (it was E-LSA).  I took it at OSH during the winter.

The course is VERY remedial.  There were a few things that I took away, making it not a total waste, but, be prepared to be bored out of your mind most of the time.  Like Joey said, most of the information you can readily find on the web or you already know.

My instructor was a very knowledgeable IA, but had no clue about 2-strokes or Rotax engines in general and spent some time bad mouthing them until he was challenged.  This was back in 2009 or 2010.

Posted

Oh Lordy, sounds like one of the many farcical, annual CE classes I suffered thru for my professional licenses over the past several decades. The mandatory Ethics courses were the worst, typically 'taught' by some slimy scumbag attorney trying to supplement his (non-existent) billing income. I had many licenses for so long when the securities industry CE requirements kicked in that I was grandfathered into the option to do 'self study' and show up for proctored tests only, easy peasy. Then the rules changed and you actually had to attend the entire 2-day classes in person. I'd rather shoot myself in the head than sit thru those again. 

Posted

I called Carol and asked about the ciriculum, in so much as there is no appreciable detail on their website at all. She is emailing me copies of reviews penned by former course attendees that address course content. We'll see but I'm sure they will all be glowing reviews. In any event, is this a classroom setting presentation or are you on your feet hands-on around a plane? I've lost a lot of endurance after this cancer shit and being on my feet for 16hrs without a break will be tough. Thnx.

Posted

Entirely classroom with some props. No getting dirty unless you spill lunch on yourself. Very remedial is a good description but as I said earlier, Brian and Carol made it a bit better than just getting the paper - though that's the main thing.

Posted

Well, I can sit and look semi-interested if need be. Just ask my wife. :P  I do admit to hoping more practical info was included, along the line of Joey's comments, but I'm sure I'll walk with some new knowledge too.

Thanks all for replying.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mine was all classroom with a few "visual aids" like Marcus said.

Posted

Hey, on the upside, it may not be a bad thing as I tend to be a bit foggy after a week and a half of OSH camping. :BC:

Posted

I took the class at Rainbow like 5 years ago. Because of my inquisitive and hands on nature, there wasn't much "new" that I learned, although I would not say the course was useless. There is always something you can learn, observe or pick up a new trick.

Most importantly it got me the repairman status for my ELSA FAT Avid, and that was worth its weight in gold! 

Getting the course applied to my plane with FAA was a breeze also.

Posted

Well, I'm a four stroke guy. Chevy, Harleys, VAs and Continentals. My Kitfox is the first 2 stroke I have ever owned. The class at Rainbow gave me a lot of good info about 2 strokes. If you take a class or seminar and learn one thing that helps, it was worth it.