Belite Chipper Down

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Wonder what engine he was running on the plane??  Glad he is safe.  JImChuk

Posted

Not much altitude for a go-around but no other options by the sound of it. Tough luck for James, right there. I believe he currently has a 80hp Rotax with an aftermarket kit giving him either 100hp or 114hp. Will be interesting to see what he learns about his design in regards to crash landings. He just went from theoretical results to actual results, most likely to the benefit of future owners. I wish him, and the design, the best of luck.

I know he uses lots of honey-comb aluminum in the build with pieces bonded together. I would like to know the mechanics of deconstruction and rebuilding with this material and the cost.

Posted

It had a modified fuel injected 912.  The Canadian company Edge Performance, I believe.  

Posted

Hi, everybody, do we have more information about this accident?

It could be very interesting to know more for everybody.

Posted

James is forging ahead with the design and various kit options. Sadly, in my mind, one thing I have never come across is any information from him in regards to repairing a Chipper. There is a lot of sheet foam and honeycomb in a Chipper. I can see where it would do a good job absorbing energy but question what it means when it is time to repair. As in: If the elevator takes a decent hit, does it compromise everything from the cabin back while a Kitfox/Avid only needs an elevator repair after the same hit? I am very curious about this but don't pretend to know the answer.

I have no idea if the wreckage was shipped back to James or if it ended up in a Northern landfill.

Posted (edited)

NTSB Prelim report:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20180524X22838

"According to the pilot, the accident flight was the first flight since maintenance was performed on the airplane's fuel system. The pilot stated that he departed Runway 32 and entered a right downwind to remain in the traffic pattern. While on final approach to Runway 32, he elected to execute a go-around. After opening the throttle, when about 150 ft above ground level (AGL), all engine power was lost. "

Found this on a press release about Jim's latest sensor:

"James Wiebe, president and CEO, was involved in an aircraft accident in Anchorage, Alaska, with the believed cause due to fuel starvation. As a result, Radiant Technology LLC, a Belite Enterprises company, is changing and improving its line of fuel management products. Our first announcement is our new Bingo 3 fluid detector.

Edited by nlappos

Posted

And not a word about repairs....