Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrades to my Mk4 Speedwing

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Well after a year of trial and error , blood ,sweat and tears I'm test flying. I faired all the jury struts and powder coated them. Installed a electric trim system along with that I made a mold to produce them whenever. The main thing was going to the radial style nose . Took some trial and error but it's on . I still have to put my door locks in and my electric fuel gauge but I wanna just fly now.

20170519_111733.jpg

20170519_111723.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

The fiberglass electric trim cover I made a mold for amd my faired struts using aircraft spruce trailing edge material and powder coated purple. Most of my little stuff is powder coated purple . When I paint the plane it'll all male sense. That's the nice thing about having a big powder coat oven at home . Not much I can't do . 

20180602_082357.jpg

20180602_082351.jpg

20180602_082406.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

I just tried the new powder coat I got. It cures like grip tape . My motorcycle is suicide shift and at lights or damp conditions my feet would sometimes slip . Stuff works great I'll be doing it to my planes brake and rudder pedals next . 

20180715_105930.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Nice work, Chop!  Wonder how many mph those fairings will yield..

Posted

Thanks , hopefully a little more. Before them I was getting around 120mph and the gps was reading 116mph or so . I could tell in the pattern a big change in the controls. They were a lot more responsive at all speeds especially slower. I'm still working out bugs but hopefully I'll be back to flying away from the airport soon. I have ro make a set of throttle cables and it's definitely not fun. 

Posted

Nice work, Chop!  Wonder how many mph those fairings will yield..

When I put all the fairings on mine I did not notice a big change in speeds.. but I did notice a big change in climb.  Less drag means a lot better climb!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I don't know anything but how the controls felt so far. My throttle cables were way to long and pulling unequal bad resulting in me barely getting any climb rate. After I get out there and make cables it'll be another round of testing. Plus I just redid the whole fuel system . New pump , filters, lines the works.

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

Nice work! Like the strut fairings, I am also planning to do them. You said 120moph, thats awsome. I am working on a pair of aerobat wings for my Mod C STOL fuselage and exited to know what I will expect in performance. At what weight do you get 120mph? Is it a Rotax 582 and what max rpm do you get at climb?