Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Size of bolts for flaperon hanger

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

During last conditional my A&P found these screws with the locking nuts not quit long enough, should have a thread and a half at least past nut. Anywho, anybody know the factory size needed? Part# I guess. Will be getting them through aircraft spruce I imagine. Looks like I'll need a 5/8" long thread.  Have the original build manual but can't find a direct reference to the size. It's a 1998 Avid MkIV with the heavy hauler wing.

Thanks!

20180603_123812.jpg

20180603_123821.jpg

Posted (edited)

I posted the factory pull sheets for the Avid Mk-IV in the Files and Forms section. It should show exactly what bolt was originally specified.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/308-factory-pull-sheets-for-mk-iv-taildragger/

Found it, see attached screenshot.

image.jpeg

Edited by dholly
Add screenshot
1 person likes this

Posted

You could also use an AN3 bolt, actually, I would think that would be better, smooth sides of a bolt, rather than the machine screw threads against the wood.  Your rib tail is 1/4" wide, the flaperon hangar adds maybe 3/32", 1/16" for a washer, That would make it a AN3-6A or maybe an AN3-7A and use a second washer if need be.  Current price in my Aircraft spruce catalog is 12 cents each.  I would measure just to make sure though.  I'm sitting here at my PC going from memory.  Do your measuring, and then check bolt's grip length.  Look at the link I posted.  JImChuk

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an3.php

1 person likes this

Posted

Here are the specs.

image.thumb.jpeg.82d2f468299831696a5f7ee

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, that was fast! Thank you guys! I'm startin to love this Avid thing. Shopped around for about 6 months before settling on this plane and very happy I found this group/forum. Thanks again!

2 people like this

Posted

Nope, those are R9, and that is the too-short bolt. I had the same gig on an annual 2 years ago and ordered the R10 from Aircraft Spruce, so the nice to have 2 threads will show. The R9 is 9/16" long the R10 is 5/8". I bought 22 of the AN526-632R10 and became a happy camper.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes sir, 5/8" is what I measured as needing. Thanks!