Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lexan vs Acrylic - help!

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Getting ready to replace the windshield and doors - and trying to decide between Lexan vs Acrylic/Plexiglass.  

I've been reading through the archives here and at TeamKit - and there are good arguments for both.  

Seems like most posts have been on use of Lexan, but a few mention Lexan's sensitivity to gas, UV, and crazing around bends and so strongly recommend acrylic.   

The price here is almost the same 4'x8'x1/16th" sheet of Lexan ~$62 and $75 for Plexi - so pretty much a wash there.

Downsides on acrylic I've read are propensity to crack when drilled or bent, easier to scratch but much easier to buff.

The plane sits outside with a cover.

So any suggestions?    Which way should I go?   Do I heat at the forward spar bend?

Cheers,

Owen

Posted

I wouldn't consider plexiglass at all.  I don't believe you could ever bend it around for the windshield without it breaking.  Unless it's melted in a mold to the right shape.  Then the windshields are 1/8" thick.  Had one for a Kitfox.  Went to install it, lifted one corner up about an inch, and heard a plink sound.  Crack just like that.  That was about $500 went right out the window there.  It came with a partly finished kit I bought, sure am glad I didn't buy it myself, I would have..... I don't know..... not been happy. Others have had similar experiences.  JImChuk

Posted

I did the molded windshield and skylight with out incident.   Bubble doors too.  

I would do them again in a minute.

1 person likes this

Posted

I just completed replacing the Skylight/Windshield on my Skyraider (just between you and me) and used 1/16” Solar Grey #130 Tinted Lexan and it came out very nice. I got  a 48 x 96” piece, shipped to Idaho for $186. I did the skylight/windshield, two side windows and had a 31” x 42” piece extra. I ordered it from POPDisplays on ebay. 

Posted

I used grey lexan from wicks. 2018 to 2022 and still looks great

Posted

Yep ive done windsheilds/skylight, doors on 2 different planes blue kf its been in since oct 2018.  Love the grey tinted lexan. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I even cut all my own windows from a sheet of tinted lexan for the pa12, except for the windshield