Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wondering if other wings are compatible?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi. I am looking into an older model avid flyer. I presently don't know the model number.   I know it has a 582 grey head.  It was on floats a number of years.  The wing has the all in one wood rib that droops down as the aileron mount.  The issue is the exposed wood on the trailing edge of wing ribs is weathered and potentially needs new ribs or trailing edges.   Lets say if this avid flyer is an older model could newer wings be installed or is very model specific? I realize of course that some mods may be required.   Thanks in advance.  I guess I better find out what model the avid flyer is.   

Posted (edited)

All Avids have the spars on 27 1/2" on center front to back, (Kitfoxes do as well) so in a way, all wings would fit more or less.  There are speed wings (shorter and flat bottom) STOL wings, longer, under cambered bottom and with thinner walled spars and ribs on 18" centers, and heavy hauler wings, longer with under cambered bottoms with thicker walled spars and ribs on 12" centers.  If your rib tails are in bad shape, those can be replaced.  It would require recovering the wings of course.  Here are pictures of  partial ribs that would be attached to the back of the spar to replace the rotted out rib that is there.   JImChukPhoto06511.thumb.jpg.86f838c77f774253d00

Edited by 1avidflyer
added the 1/2" in the dimention
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks both of you.  Now I need to do my homework and crunch some numbers.   Can those tail ribs still be bought or is it something that is home built. The current owner suggested that tail ribs could likely be fabricated.  

Posted

I built the ones in the picture myself.   I have built some others for people but it's not something you couldn't do yourself.  I'm pretty busy with my own projects as it is, so it's not like I'm looking for work.  :) I would say, find out what your have, and what you really need, and then go from there.  None of it is rocket science.  It can be done....  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

i would be cautious considering an Avid that had spent a bunch of time on floats. When a friend was buying an Avid from Steve Winder when he was running Avid in its last days, they were rebuilding an Avid that had spent a bunch of time on floats. There was fairly extensive fuselage rust that they were in the process or repairing. Not just surface rust either. there was a lot of welding going on.

Not saying the one you are considering might not be a great deal,  just be aware before you take the plunge. You would't want to end up with a bigger project than you are looking for.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks everyone.   Definitely all points will be factored in.  Would have to make room in my garage to repair wings/inspect fuselage.  That is as great of a challenge.   Thanks everyone 

Posted

27-1/2" spar pin bushing to spar pin bushing C/L

Posted

Right your are Doug,  27 1/2"  center to center on the spars,  and I know better as well.  My brain must have shifted into neutral part way through that reply.  Maybe that groove worn in from previous times.  JImChuk