Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Float rigging

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all.

I am looking for float rigging plans/drawings for Avid Flyer B or C model. I want to install aluminium Zenair/Czech floats but i don`t have any rigging materials or drawings at all. I think the original rigging specs would suit just fine. The measurements and angles are the important variables to get. Does anyone have anything to share? 

And one more think, is there any special modifications/reinforcements done one the fuselage when mounting floats?

Best regards, Anders.

Bildresultat för avid flyer aluminium floats

Posted

Take a look in the files section.  There is a build manual for the MK IV.  I didn't look, but I'm guessing it contains info on rigging floats.  My manuals have that section in them.  I'm guessing there wasn't any difference in how the floats were rigged from one model to the other.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks, I did. But the only paper I found was the installation manual for the original Avid floats. It has no dimensions and angles. I would like to have recomended height and angle of attack etc. 

Floats.pdf

Posted (edited)

I'm soon facing the same project (with a KF going on Full Lotus).

I'll post a couple pics from their manual over in files and forms.  I plan to make the AOA adjuatable on the rear struts.... somehow.

My notes from AKFlyer are:

Foat step 6" behind cg, 4 degree AOA

Note:  The FL floats  have a flatter bottom than aluminum / glass floats, so they require a little more preset AOA because you can't "rotate" as much at liftoff.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I have gotten hold of pictures and drawings on a Rans S6 with Alu floats. This is very similar to an Avid Flyer, but still I need this to be verified.

Rans S6 + 1300 floats rigging dimensions.jpg

Posted

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.364e5e3acceb77f3b9362That's my Avid in the pic, original avid on floats, Dean made me a dealer after I took him for a ride,1985 if memory serves me right 

I've got just what you need, drawings and dimensions

A model avid #82 N 5127K

3 people like this

Posted

Post 'em Snaps. Or bring to OSH this year and I'll copy and post like we did with Robby Holman' amphib gear.

PS - be interesting to see the SPB changes this year. Is Margaritaville gone?

Posted

Sioux201, I love your old Avid Flyer! Do you have any drawings, measurements or specs to share? I need to make a drawing like the Rans S6 above to get a building permission from the Swedish EAA.

Posted

Finally figured out how to put some pictures up ,sorry for the delay! Doug and crew, see you OSH

I forward the mathematical way between floats and airplanes and the simple sheet with the 2  main measurements, three being the best to 5 inches for the CG to be ahead of the step, CG ahead  of the step and 3 degrees angle of attack! 

Highly advise using one drive profit with stainless leading edge, I've cut through cat tails , branch is an about everything elsewith no problems

I'll so I forward a drawing of the trailer that I've built up if you're interested I can give you more details 

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

GREAT INFO!

Thnx for posting Snaps

Posted

Great Snaps! This is wonderful!

Posted

here is an article about floats, but it´s in Spanish.- dorry, I know nothing I´m from Barcelona.

float design.pdf