Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kansas Avid C

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello from Kansas.  My son and I just acquired S/N 601 and its in need of some TLC.  I have flown it a bit and love it but it has suffered from neglect, mis-repairs, and a bit of abuse. Our plan is to right all the wrongs slowly but surely.   We have already replaced bungees, cleaned and repacked wheel bearings, cleaned up brakes and removed half a mile of unused wiring.  We need to build new flaperons and Im not seeing any pics or how-to's on this forum.  I'll post a query under the appropriate subject.  Looking forward to learning much from you all!

Posted

Welcome to the group.  Flaperons are a bit of a difficult item to come across it seems.  Not sure anyone really posted up any plans on how they did it.  I have a set of them, but probably want to keep them with the wings I have.  They are also from a C model.  What is the matter with yours?  Pictures always help.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks 1avidflyer.  I've got some ideas on construction method but I thought for sure the build manual would have some details.   I don't have any pics yet but I plan to post some of the airplane and it's needs soon. 

The left flaperon was "repaired" with pop rivets and there are several stress cracks all over.  Both sides have lots of oil-canning going on.  In my opinion I don't think they can be rebuilt. 

2 questions:

What topic should I post under to get the best response for my flaperon questions?

Did they use a foam core for the flaperons?  I suppose I can de-construct the current ones and find out how they were built.  Thanks.

Posted

As far as the topic to post under, I suppose the one you had in the Avid Flyer General Hangar should work as well as anywhere.  The list has been pretty quiet lately.  (Come on Ed, we need you back with us)  As far as I know, the flaperons have the aluminum tube with foam ribs, and the aluminum skin glued and riveted on.  Never completely pulled one apart either.   JImChuk

Posted

Did they use a foam core for the flaperons?  I suppose I can de-construct the current ones and find out how they were built.  Thanks.

The build manual says the flaperons are entirely foam filled, except where the hinges are installed. The build manual section III chapter 9 is pretty clear on this.

Posted

The build manual says the flaperons are entirely foam filled, except where the hinges are installed. The build manual section III chapter 9 is pretty clear on this.

Well I don’t have the build manual and the build manual I see posted on this site  Does not seem to have that chapter.

Posted

Hey, I wasn't being critical, sorry if it came off that way. The MK IV Build manual is posted here http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4220-avid-mk-iv-build-manual/

and if you download Section III, then look in section iii for Chapter 9, the flaperon build is described. But finding stuff in the build manual is a real pain, it took me a while to find it, and that is my manual posted there!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey, I wasn't being critical, sorry if it came off that way. The MK IV Build manual is posted here http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4220-avid-mk-iv-build-manual/

and if you download Section III, then look in section iii for Chapter 9, the flaperon build is described. But finding stuff in the build manual is a real pain, it took me a while to find it, and that is my manual posted there!

nlappos, Thank you for the guidance and thanks for the apology but none required.  I figured you were just stating a fact (as was I in my response) and I just don't get too worked up over forum stuff anymore.  I believe 99% of us that take the time to post and ask questions on forums sincerely want to help.  Your info on "where" and "how" to find the flaperon detail is really what I was after and is much appreciated, thanks! 

1 person likes this