Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to build flaperons

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I need to build new flaperons but Im not having much luck finding instructions/plans.  This is for a Model C with 30 foot wingspan.  We just acquired the airplane and it needs lots of TLC.  I have flown it several times but the current flaperons need to be replaced before further flight.  Looking for some guidance. Thanks!

Posted

I know a buddy who just received a brand new set from Mark at Avid Aircraft. He’s shipping them using Fastenal. Was less than 2 weeks to have them built. They are a PIA to build. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Any idea on cost?  JImChuk

Posted

Any idea on cost?  JImChuk

He paid around $1300 for them but his were a little more because they were for an extended speed wing that had weird rib spacing at the tips. 

Posted

If that was for both of them, that's not a bad price.  If it was for one, that's about what I would have guessed.  JImChuk

Posted

Jim that was for the pair shipped. 

Posted

That is not bad at all then.  That should be good news to Avid and early Kitfox people.  JImChuk

Posted

It appears that I should have started with the question, "Were the Flaperons supplied fully assembled minus the balance".  Thanks to "nlappos" I found the build manual section that describes them.  I expected a nice diagram of assembly but found only info on trimming foam and adding the balance.  So... I have requested a quote from Avid Aircraft for new and will set about dis-assembly of the originals to get some ideas on a fabricating my own. I will try to get some pics posted on progress.  

Posted (edited)

They were furnished complete, you just had to add the balance weight.  I seem to recall someone making a set before.  If you have access to a long press brake it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate new ones.

:BC:

Edited by akflyer

Posted

I need to build new flaperons but Im not having much luck finding instructions/plans.  This is for a Model C with 30 foot wingspan.  We just acquired the airplane and it needs lots of TLC.  I have flown it several times but the current flaperons need to be replaced before further flight.  Looking for some guidance. Thanks!

Post some pictures of your existing ones.  Can they be refurbished?

Posted

The airplane comes with wind damage history.  While the main structures repairs look good the rest lacks finesse! 

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4100.JPG

IMG_4101.jpg

Posted

I would drill out the pop rivets and use squeeze rivets.  The rest can be easily straightened out.  Work a wooded dowel along the wrinkle on the inboard leading edge and use a pair of pliers to pull out the other wrinkles in the edges.  you can little patches around the ID of the holes around the flaperon hangers and pop rivet those in place and make them look pretty damn good much easier and cheaper than trying to build new ones.  That is of course unless you are looking for an award winning bird at OSH one day.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks akfler!  You’re right about the cost for sure!  I think we will take a hard look at your suggestions and see if we can make some acceptable progress towards rebuilding.  I’ll post some progress pics when we get something done. 

1 person likes this