Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jabiru Screen Shot

16 posts in this topic

Posted

If you have ever wondered what a Jabiru will do in a early kitfox with the undercamber wing here is a crappy phone photo of my panel in a easy cruise early this morning. My fuel burn may go up a bit when I get it jetted correctly. On climb out or any cruise above 2700rpm I get hot egts. Got some new main jets on the way to fix that.

I was nice and level but just came through some rough air and don't have the bump factor set right on my artificial horizon yet. Also went and checked out our new airport.

82 cruise

4.4 gph

2623 rpm

159 oil temp

50 psi oil pres

273 cht

1266 egt

78 degree air temp

0627180722.jpg

0627180746a.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Where do you get the carbon fiber instrument panel.  I need to replace mine.

Thanks

Posted

Nice TJay,  I usually cruise at 2800, and am doing about 87 in my MK IV.  Did you push it up to full throttle to see what maximum rpm you get straight and level?   What is your static rpm?  Climb out rpm?  JImChuk

Posted

Where do you get the carbon fiber instrument panel.  I need to replace mine.

Thanks

its 3m 1080 wrap. Google it/Ebay

Posted

Nice TJay,  I usually cruise at 2800, and am doing about 87 in my MK IV.  Did you push it up to full throttle to see what maximum rpm you get straight and level?   What is your static rpm?  Climb out rpm?  JImChuk

not yet Jim but I will. And congrats on the new kitfox 3

Posted

TJ, what prop are you using?

Posted

Maybe go leaner on the jet needle, and richer on the main jet??  4.4 gph is a bit on the high side for that slow of a cruise rpm. And a higher cruise EGT shouldn't hurt anything.  How even were your EGTs, one cylinder to the next?   JImChuk

Posted

64/34 Tennessee, its to much prop but it works for now, later on there may be a 68inch luga in my future plans

Posted

What is you static rpm with that prop?  I ran a 64 x 36 for quite a while.  Then a 62 x 40.  Engine makes more power after Jabiru rebuit it then before when it was new and broke in.  Have a 64" square tip warp on there now.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

What is you static rpm with that prop?  I ran a 64 x 36 for quite a while.  Then a 62 x 40.  Engine makes more power after Jabiru rebuit it then before when it was new and broke in.  Have a 64" square tip warp on there now.  JImChuk

Static is 2700 I think

max flat and level was only 2850 the engine does feel real tight yet.

Thing is alot of fun to fly I have 4.14 hrs on it now

Edited by TJay

Posted

Ya,  kind of low on the rpm.  With my 64 x 36, my static was about 2800 - 2850 climb out was over 3000

Posted

Just one more question to check.  After youve flown and the engine is well up to temp, when you shut it down and leave it set a couple minutes, see how hard it is to turn the prop over by hand.  The way the cylinders were tightened down on some of these engines pushed the cylinder out of round and they would get pretty tight on the Pistons.  When this was corrected, some of the engines would get up to 200 more rpm.  Wonder if this is an issue.  JImChuk

Posted

64/34 Tennessee, its to much prop but it works for now, later on there may be a 68inch luga in my future plans

That Luga should get it off short, have you heard of anyone else putting that large of a prop on the Jabiru before? I purchased that very slightly used 62/32 that Lonnie Prince had, surely a nice improvement for my short field.

Posted

That Luga should get it off short, have you heard of anyone else putting that large of a prop on the Jabiru before? I purchased that very slightly used 62/32 that Lonnie Prince had, surely a nice improvement for my short field.

Only know of one other that has the prop on a Jabiru and he seems to like it. That prop that you have I looked at that one last year. What did it do to your cruise?

Posted

Only know of one other that has the prop on a Jabiru and he seems to like it. That prop that you have I looked at that one last year. What did it do to your cruise?

I was expecting it to drop but it didn't seem to, might be something to his varying pitch design - it seemed to work for me. If I was to order another from him, I'd probably try 64/32.

Posted

I was expecting it to drop but it didn't seem to, might be something to his varying pitch design - it seemed to work for me. If I was to order another from him, I'd probably try 64/32.

No Doubt about it. Mr Lonnie Prince knows how to build a Propeller.