Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cowl Mod for taller engine

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I kinda hijacked another post and thought I'd bring it over here to stop that.

The RX-1 is tall and skinny, the Subaru flat and wide.  So I need about two inches up top front.

Two ways to approach it that I had in mind.... probably an even better one out there from one of you guys,  throw it on the table

Option 1 is to save the cutout on the top of the cowl and build in "triangle slices" along the gap betweem the halves (red triangle in pic below).  Then work out  some extensions up front at the prop opening.  Downside there is a goofy look around the spinner but maybe less work overall.

Pic 2 shows where I would have to cutout up top if I chose to drop the cowl halves together the way they are.  Downside there is probably an uglier "cowl bump/bubble"

Votes? 

Better ideas?

2018-07-01 20.22.26.jpg

2018-07-01 20.21.38.jpg

Posted

I use an oil base sculpting clay to build up the clearance on my cowling. It can be shaped and smoothed out to the exact shape desired. Lay one layer of glass over the the clay and lapped over onto the cowling about an 1", let cure, remove and completely clean the clay from the back side, lightly sand and apply two layers of glass on the back side and lap onto the existing cowling about an inch. 

If I did the cutout up top, here is the my leading plan of attack

Posted

Depending on how high and big the cowl bump is, that is the way I'm thinking I would go.  Less work then the wedge and such as well probably.  JIm

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I vote cowl bump too. Visibility should be better on the sides of the cowl with a bump instead or raising the whole thing. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Bump it.  Glass work is fast and easy.  Cut the hole, shape some foam and go to work.  Use epoxy not poly resin and you wont have to worry about melting the foam.

:BC:

Edited by akflyer
2 people like this

Posted

Thanks guys.  Will do.