Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cat Amph differences

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone!

I have bought a partially assembled kit (really mostly done) and have a few questions. What is the difference between the Avid Amphibian and the "Catalina". I have literature that iilustrates the "amphibian" as having no wing floats but downward canted wingtips. Also, it features a "squareish tail".

My plane however, has "normal" wings (and wing tips) wing mounted "floats" but does not have the rounded, elephant ear like tail and rudder.... (I say this with the utmost respect! Love the "antique" look)

Any other significant differences? Mine has three fuel tanks, two of 14 gallons in the wings and a central one of 17. (wing tanks not yet plumbed). Manual comes with a bunch of wing drawings, of which I have identified a "speed" wing and a Heavy Hauler. I do not know which one I have!! 

Please advise, enlighten, illustrate and share.

Edge

Edited by Ephramphibian

Posted

Unless someone did something funky, they will be the undercambered ribs that are used in the heavy hauler / STOL wing.

I am not sure of the changes between the cat and the amph other than the wing tips and perhaps a few other subtle changes.  If someone has a newer manual for the catalina they would send me so I can scan and post it I would be happy to do so.

Congrats on a cool bird!

:BC:

Posted

I believe the amphibian has some frame differences, too.  I believe the easiest way to tell the difference is the width across the lower rear of the cockpit opening.  My Catalina is 41.25", and I believe amphibians would be less.   Perhaps someone can verify this idea, it's just something I thought I heard at some point. 

Posted

I believe the amphibian has some frame differences, too.  I believe the easiest way to tell the difference is the width across the lower rear of the cockpit opening.  My Catalina is 41.25", and I believe amphibians would be less.   Perhaps someone can verify this idea, it's just something I thought I heard at some point. 

Guys and how about engine mount structure? I have not measured the "lower rear of the cockpit opening". Should I assume this is the bottom of the back seat?

I am pretty sure the wings are cambered. I guess I have to get the tape measure out...

I will keep all posted.

Thanks!