Sub EA81 oil

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to change oil in my EA81 Stratus. Previous owner used the recommended Castrol GTX 20-50. It seems pretty thick for such a small motor? Builder (not me) installed a ball valve on radiator supply hose and it's only open about 1/4ish. Was told not to move it as it has a hard time reaching operating temp if opened more. It will make 180 after warm up but takes awhile. 

Stratus recommended 20-50 for a reason but seems like maybe a 10-40 might provide better lubrication during warmup and still be thick enough once 180 is reached?

I here tell Randy is the go to guy on Sub motors on here, lol. Randy? What's your thoughts on this if you don't mind.

Thanks everyone!

P.S., pay no attention to the coolant recovery bottle, it's temporary 

0617180944.jpg

20180517_134658.jpg

Posted (edited)

I'll put my bid in for Mobil 1 0-w40

After better than a million trouble free miles, changing every 15,000 in family subaru cars, Im a believer.

Nice looking plane!

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Yamma!

Posted

Depends on what fuel you plan to run.  If you will be running 100LL synthetic oils don't get rid of the lead and will build sludge throughout the engine.  Aeroshell 15-50 is what I run in my Jabiru it is semi-synthetic and has the additives to take care of the lead.  I'm no expert for sure but that would be my first choice if I were going to be running 100LL very much.

2 people like this

Posted

I run W-100 in my Jabiru which is also by Aero-shell and Like Paul said I am no expert either It is just what I run.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good point on running 100LL with a full synthetic like Mobil 1.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's had the GTX 20-50 it's whole life so maybe stick to it I guess. It's right around mid 400's hours and seems to be fine. No metal at last change. I ran 20-50 in our high horse V8's but not generating heat quickly wasn't an issue. I really appreciate all the input. I have a zero time EA81 that's been pickled to swap when the time comes, may start with a synthetic with it after break-in. But from what I'm told the Subs are easy 1000 TBO motors so it'll be a bit before I have to worry about that...I hope!

Posted (edited)

Hi Elkonastick,

I have run Mobil 1 15-50W in mine it's whole life.  I change it every 50 hours and add as needed.  I also add a pint of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer at every oil change but don't know that it is necessary, I just like the way it stick to the parts and think it might help reduce wear at start up, etc.  The full synthetic seems to do fine even when running at OAT of -20F; but I try to preheat until the block is at least +10 to +20F.  The Mobil 1 has a high zinc content too.  But I have very rarely run 100LL; only when I have been out somewhere and had to fuel when I could not get mogas.  I would recommend running non-alcohol mogas if you possibly can.  We don't have alcohol gas here thankfully but it is a lot harder to find in the lower 48.  I have noticed non-alcohol premium in some places though.

Mine takes a while to warm up in the winter so I wait until showing at least 100F before taking it off choke and powering it up to check the ignition.  It never reaches 180 though and I have to block off a lot of my radiators in the winter even with the thermosat.

Nice looking plane and welcome to the Forum!

Randy

Edited by SuberAvid
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Randy!  Through this summer heat right now it still takes a bit to get to temp. Which is better than running hot I guess. I'll finish up the GTX 20-50, still one more changes worth, then look at the Mobil 1.

Thanks again all!