Fuel tank markings/ inspection soon

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I submitted my paperwork to the DAR today. I’m still finishing up some little stuff. One thing is the fuel tank markings. Can you guys show me how you marked the root of your wings with the level of fuel in the tank? Just want some ideas. Photos attached. 

88AC675C-57CD-4FFB-BA2E-3FE622485D24.jpeg

DF6AB1FF-195A-4719-BCA8-0D79C51C2F17.jpeg

B4A05262-A434-4324-8856-EC09FD88B885.jpeg

Posted

Tried to find a picture, but didn't.  What I did was run a piece of 1 1/2" wide tape  on the tank, up the center of  window you show.  Marked flying on one side of the tape on the top of the rib, parked on the other. Add 3 gallons in parked position.   Put a short line on the fuel level, and marked 3 gallons on the tape.  Set the tail up on a stand to get it in flying position, marked that on the other side of the tape.  Add 3 more gallons, marked 6 gallons on flying side, lowed plane to parked, marked other side of tape at the 6 gallon amount.  Kept going like that until I had marks all the way up to 12 gallons.  Did the other tank the same way.  Not the prettiest, but worked.  But using that method, you can get as fancy as you want.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Jim. Sounds like a plan. 

1 person likes this

Posted

That's how I did mine but I also added a strip of led lights to help with those not so sunny days . 

Posted

Can you show how you did the LED light's?  That sounds like a good idea.  JImChuk

Posted

I'll take a picture next time I'm at my hanger . I basically took a strip of 3 led lights and put them on a thin clear piece of plastic facing my tank. I had pictures I'll see if I can find them . BTW I have tons of led lights so if you ever want some I have plenty . 

Posted

I just marked the tube. My inflight fuel and on ground fuel is not different enough to care about, works great.

0715180635.jpg

Posted

I did 5 and 10 gallons on the parked side so I can get a good wag when preflighting and then did every 2 gallons up the flying side.

Posted (edited)

I bought two 1/8 NPT brass barbed nipples, and cut a few of the barbs off to shorten them, drilled a 3/8" hole in the top and bottom of the tank, and used permatex fuel tank epoxy to butter the threads and then screwed the nipples in. When set, I added the 1/4" tubing and some clamps, and had a nice gas gauge.  And yes, I chewed through the fabric with my teeth, or at least it looks that way!

I also show  Bear Perkins kit that does the trick, too.

fuelindicator.jpg

nlfuel.jpg

Edited by nlappos

Posted (edited)

My various fuel tank sight gauges.  My wife made these in photo shop.  They would print out the correct size to use on the fuel tanks of a Kitfox model 4.  I'm not sure if posting them here retains the correct size when printed.  Feel free to use if you wish.

IMG_0296.JPG

Left Gas Gauge-Logo.jpg

Right Gas gauge-Logo.jpg

Left Gas Gauge-Plain.jpg

Right Gas Gauge-Plain.jpg

Edited by tcj
3 people like this

Posted

Thank you everyone for the great response. 

Posted

Here's my set up with the led lights

20180721_110245.jpg

Posted

Easy to do on a nose-dragger. A bit more difficult on a tail-dragger.

I emptied the tanks and then added 5 gallons and marked the level with a permanent marker in both the tail down and level flight attitudes. Then added anothe r5 gallons and marked the 10 gallon marks.

You can mark the tank or the final rib next to the cockpit.

It does help to see the fuel level by cutting a 3-inch diameter round hole in the fabric on the top of the tank that lets the light shine down onto the fuel.

John M

Posted

Hmm, why not stick a flat led strip directly to the tank and cover with black tape to prevent back bleed? Then the illumination would come from inside the tank and probably highlight the fuel level even better.

2 people like this

Posted

Hmm, why not stick a flat led strip directly to the tank and cover with black tape to prevent back bleed? Then the illumination would come from inside the tank and probably highlight the fuel level even better.

Still in the testing phase of it . I did figure out a electronic fuel gauge set up for my plane that I haven't gotten around to doing yet. 

Posted

Did a little modifications to my fuel light set up. I still have a electric fuel gauge I'm going to install but until then this is what I got. I still can add more leds but this and the strip cut on top of my wing should be enough

20180903_113630.jpg

20180903_113622.jpg