Latest project. Kitfox 3

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Jim, if it does pop off in the future a couple small holes in it with a few wraps of safety wire would keep it in place till you decided to do a permanent repair.

1 person likes this

Posted

A bit more progress to report.  Leni, I was just envisioning the wire sticking up and sliding across the door frame.  Could leave a bit of a mark to say the least...  :-()  Could end up with a vasectomy or something.   That would wipe the smile off one's face.   Anyway, got the poly brush sprayed on this evening.  Supposed to rain lots tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to shoot any poly spray or not.  Anyway, either there was no real oil or grease stuck to the fabric or the 2210 cleaner really works, cause I didn't have any problem with poly brush sticking every where.,  I've seen it fish eye before and that is a real pain.  Anyway, progress!  JImChuk

Photo1121.jpg

Photo1122.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim, How many planes do you have?????

Posted

To many according to some,  not enough according to others.  3 Kitfoxes, 2 Avids, 1/2 of a Chief   Just one Avid and Chief fly currently.  JImChuk

Posted

A little more progress.  And this time I shot white under the yellow, and it looks real good with 2 coats.  Lot more masking off though, but that's the price you pay if you go with yellow.  Last picture is the 3 and the 4 side by side.  JImChuk

Photo1139.jpg

Photo1141.jpg

Photo1145.jpg

Photo1148.jpg

Photo1152.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Ok, the next problem is how are you going to decide which one to fly?

Posted

By the way, the planes are looking great!

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok, the next problem is how are you going to decide which one to fly?

That's not my problem right now. :-)  Lately I've been doing my best to keep Poly Fiber company in business.  (and Wag Aero)  OUCH!  I really don't know what I'm going to do if and when they are done.,  The Kitfox 4 has an airworthness cert.,  the 3 doesn't.  I will probably concentrate on the 4 till it flys, but wanted to get most of the painting done while the weather was still warm.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking Awesome, Jim!!

2 people like this

Posted

Jim, you amaze me with all you do. The planes look great. I like the new yellow best. Keep us posted...

Brooks

1 person likes this

Posted

You are Rocking this Out of the Park Sir!  Making the rest of us look Bad!  Love It!  Looking Great....truly does give us inspiration to push on!  :BC:Randy 

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking sweet mr.  one of my dreams get the 3 birds in matching paint.  Hopefully one of these days I will be able to get back on my projects and not just be building parts for other people :lol:

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

they look great Jim.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just a bit of an update.  I got the plane back in mid July and sent in the paperwork to the FAA shortly thereafter.  Finally got the registration through and into my name a couple of days ago.  Mostly it was establishing a record of owners, one to the next.  I had a typed out bill of sale from the second owner to the third owner that the FAA would not accept.  Fortunatly I was after much searching able to track that second owner down and get him to sign a regular FAA bill of sale.  The next hurdle was going from the third owner to his widow, as he had passed away and willed everything to her.  The FAA doesn't accept wills.  They do allow the surviving spouse to fill out an "heir at law" form that is even available on their website.  Once that was done, it went through.  It did take several conversations with people in Oklahoma FAA registrations office before someone explained the heir at law thing well enough so I knew what they were talking about and she even sent me a form in the mail.  So even though the airplane's registration had been listed as purged from the FAA records, I was able to get it back into my name with a valid aircraft registration.  833DT lives on!   JImChuk

PS  maybe some of this info will help others who are trying to resurrect old airplanes with expired paperwork

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

Congratulations Jim on the successful outcome from a lot of tedious paperwork!

1 person likes this

Posted

I'll be attempting something similar trying to get mine registered. I think it's all about the money. Once they have the proper paperwork in their hands then they can go back and collect tax from all the previous owners that failed to register it. I'd rather they just give us the option to either track down all the previous owners or pay all the back taxes ourselves. Many would rather pay the piper than track down ghosts of the past.

Now that you got it widened out your seats are going to be too small. Does that use a sling seat like my Avid or did it have the fiberglass seat pan? Your doors won't fit either, new doors or widen out the old ones?

Posted

The inside of the fuselage is exactly the same as it was before I widened it.  Therefore, the fiberglass seat will fit just like it did before.  To make the doors fit, you install the frames without windows or bottom panels and twist them to fit the opening.   Then fit the panel/windows onto the door.  It will then fit the new opening.  That is how I did my Avid Flyer when I widened it 3" and others have done the same before.  JImChuk

PS  I don't think the FAA is concerned about state sales taxes.  They just want a proper chain of ownership.  Being as how your plane was sold at a sheriff's auction, there is a provision  for changing ownership then as well.  I will try to find the paperwork from the FAA referring to this.

Just found it, it is a 4 page item the FAA sent me and it deals with different situations of transferring ownership.  Has 45 numbered situations.  It's entitiled:  Information to aid in the registration of us Civil aircraft.  For your situation,  this is what it says:   14. JUDICIAL SALE. The buyer of an aircraft at a judicial sale or at a sale to satisfy a lien or charge, must submit a bill of sale signed by the sheriff, auctioneer, or other authorized person who conducted the sale, stating that the sale was made under applicable local law.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just found some more info that may be helpful to you in getting the registration cleared up.  I found that a sale of your plane had been reported to the FAA to a guy in Bonsall, California.  If he was the guy it was seized from for nonpayment of hangar rent, your bill of sale from the Sheriff's office could be all you need to transfer it and get the registration reinstated.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just found some more info that may be helpful to you in getting the registration cleared up.  I found that a sale of your plane had been reported to the FAA to a guy in Bonsall, California.  If he was the guy it was seized from for nonpayment of hangar rent, your bill of sale from the Sheriff's office could be all you need to transfer it and get the registration reinstated.  JImChuk

Thanks for the information but there lies the rub; the guy in California is not the guy that had it before the Sheriff's sale. The previous owner listed at the Sheriff's sale was Jeffery Tyler Knowles. I tried to track down the guy in California and now have an old address. I'm not holding my breath on him being alive and having any paperwork though.

Below is some information I got from the FAA.

faa registration reply.jpg