Wing tank leak

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Mark IV speedwing. I think they are 5 gal tanks. Whats the best way to attack the problem ? From the top or bottom? 5 gallons leaked out of the left bottom of the wing in about 20 min flight time. 

Posted

Mark IV speedwing. I think they are 5 gal tanks. Whats the best way to attack the problem ? From the top or bottom? 5 gallons leaked out of the left bottom of the wing in about 20 min flight time. 

you have to pull them out  the top side.

1 person likes this

Posted

Are they aluminum or fiberglass tanks?  Either way, I would try to slosh them first with KBS coatings fuel tank sealer, or something like that.  It would cost you  some dollars, and be a waste of time if it doesn't work, but maybe it will seal up and be well worth it.  JImChuk

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/

2 people like this

Posted

Aluminum. I’ll probably remove the fabric and see whats going on inside and possibly put in another tank

Posted

Anyone here in Ak weld aluminum tanks ? 

D3CE644E-CE2F-4802-83E9-F7E82196F4E0.jpeg

Posted

I have some Kitfox aluminum tanks, but as long as you went through the effort of opening up the wing, I would find a fiberglass tank to put in.  Aluminum tanks were subject to cracking from the flex in the wing.  I would run an add on here, TeamKitfox and barnstormers for a fiberglass Avid wing tank.  Kitfox tanks are slightly different but would probably work as well with some slight fairing.  I think Doug H had a post where he showed the differences in the wing ribs between the Avid and Kitfox.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Jim, since i didnt get a build manual with this plane and am not familiar with the wing construction, is the tank structural? Its riveted, bolted  and epoxied . Hoping i can get it out without replacing one of the ribs.  

1 person likes this

Posted

The tanks do add to the structure.  If there is no tank, then there are aluminum braces in those bays.  Also, when removing it, be careful not to damage the spars.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Spars still all in great shape with no damage even after having to cut out the tank. Has anyone delt with wingtanks.com ?

Edited by Avidharleyflyer

Posted

Spars still all in great shape with no damage even after having to cut out the tank. Has anyone delt with wingtanks.com ?

Think Joey/ C5 installed them. Shoot him a message

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I motion for the fiberglass tanks install with a kbs or caswell sealing.  Aluminum is less robust than fiberglass with respect to resistance to stress and resultant cracking.  That said, JB weld does wonders in a temporary repair or bandaid for awhile.

Edited by allonsye

Posted

I got a hold of Stace in Idaho and he shipped me out two tanks. Got um in and now gotta wrap it up and get back in the air. 

Posted

image.jpg

Posted

How much for each tank?  Can you take some pics from the bottom as well?  Ones that show how the connect together and such?  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

Jim, $450 for two tanks, $70 shipping to Alaska was included in the price. When i finish the underside, I’ll post some pics. He sent me two brass fittings and i drilled and tapped and jb welded them in. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I just got 2 tanks from Stace. Haven't got them installed yet.

Posted

Jim, here ya go. 

image.jpg

Posted

They hold just over 5 gallons each. They have some quirks about them that the fiberglass tanks don’t have. 

1 person likes this

Posted

It's good you can keep/add some root end drag tubes with those tanks.

1 person likes this

Posted

I would repair the tanks in place. i did it very successfully as has my friend Ron. I posted on here somewhere how I did it. If I can find the post I will reference it. Maybe search wing tank repair in the search window and start looking. I cut into the bottom of the wing and used metal patches.

Posted

here is the thread where I mention repairing the tanks and how I did it. I do not know how to create a shortcut, but here is the thread title on this site:

Wing Tank Repair

Started by OKAvidFlyer7 Jan 2011

Posted

Chris, thanks. I already replaced the tanks with poly. Headed to town now to pick up supplies to recover the the wing.