VG's on the flaperon

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Good Morning,

Wondering if anyone has tried VG's on the flaperon and if any benefit resulted.  I am not an aero expert so this may be a dumb suggestion to start with. Just a thought.

Posted

I'm no expert either, but if i were noticing some loss of roll authority near stall speed I'd try it.

The peel and stick ones should be pretty easy to take back off if you don't like it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think Ill give it a try and report back to forum with results.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've never heard anyone putting them on the flaperons so definitely keep us posted . 

Posted

I've thought about this too.  I think the "normal" VGs for a wing may be too large for a flapperon, but the theory is sound on their operation.  They would help if you are having flapperon inversion issues...

Posted

Perhaps the squiggly tape style would be appropriate?? Tried to find a link but didn't score. 

Posted

On my model B  STOL, I had installed VGs on the wings and the underside of the horizontal stab.

It did slow the stall speed when tested at altitude but was of no use on the ground because that AOA at touchdown was so high it would hit the tail wheel first, all the time.

I now fly a MK4 STOL and have no VGs on it since I find that the flaperons do a great job of keeping the air attached to the wing all by themselves.

I will submit one little jewel I discovered when flying my model B. As you may know, Avid manufacturing had offset the rudder to help the prop torque and P factor of the Rotax 532 and 582. The leading edge of the vert stab was offset to the right. This was OK when I was flying the 582, but when I installed the Jabiru, which turns the other way on the model B, this offset exacerbated the left turning tendency requiring a trim tab bent at a 45-degree angle. 

I had a brain fart and decided to place VGs on the left side of the verticle stab just in front of the rudder hinge and was able to remove the trim tab.

John M

I had a