Need some compassion...

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So this did't turn out as planned... I was supposed to announce the start of this summers flying adventure, "The Pyrenees Coast to Coast", but it ended abruptly the first evening by the foothills of the Pyrenees. The strip was short, the wind not too bad but with rather strong gusts as a thunderstorm was building up at some distance. After touch down I was lifted by a strong gust and when touching down there was not enough strip left to stop. At the end of the strip there is a ditch and then the road. With verly littel residual speed I went down in the ditch and the left landing gear folded with a perfect 3 blade pro strike as a result and I slided out on the road...

Except from my pride I'm not hurt, there was no chock and after inspection the damages are limited (left landing gear, left tire, all 3 blades on my brand new prop... and some minor cosmetics on the wingtip).

image.thumb.jpeg.c39a0d701de4ab647957a91image.thumb.jpeg.e083efdf9028c571d191c3cimage.thumb.jpeg.53f5152a5f74d0604eb8d85image.thumb.jpeg.53f5152a5f74d0604eb8d85

Edited by FredStork

Posted

That’s rough, Fred. So glad you weren’t hurt. I suspect you’ll have your bird repaired and flying again in no time. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well dog gone it Fred sorry to hear that.  I have sure had my issues over the years.  Glad to  know that the wound will not show.   

1 person likes this

Posted

Fred,

We’re glad your alright! Let us know how we can help. Bryce

2 people like this

Posted

So sorry for you Fred,  I've been there myself, and know how you are feeling.  No doubt lots of could ofs, should ofs going through your mind about now.  The important thing to keep in mind though is:  You're ok, and the damage is much less than it could have been.  Fix it, and fly again.  Again,  sorry for you.  JImChuk:(

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep been there too.  Part of this game we play.  No fun when it is "our turn at bat" and we strike out.... but the good part is that everyone else on your team understands and is there to pat you on the back.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Glad you're ok, Fred. You are one of my heroes, stay with it. Looks like the frame is straight, hope you're flying in no time.

1 person likes this

Posted

God is merciful. Best laid plans of mice n men and all that. You’ll be able to do that trip in no time Fred. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys! Good to have you out there!

Posted

"Merde alors".... glad you're ok and little damage to your bird. Regarding your prop, you can order just the one broken blade...(would be nice to have a close photo of the propeller blade to see how it delaminated).

Keep it up Fred

1 person likes this

Posted

So sad to see your beautiful bird hurt.  Glad you're o.k., Fred

1 person likes this

Posted

Ouch! So sorry for the damage to your plane. Glad you're ok, and hope the repairs go well!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad you okay.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Fred, so glad you are OK.  I've been there too but mine also required a helicopter to bring it out, plus a new prop and wingtip repairs.  I know you will be back in the air soon!

1 person likes this

Posted

Fred, sorry to hear about your misfortune!  Thank goodness you are OK and no one was injured.  Slight repairs to be made.....then we will be looking forward to the new video of you and the plane getting back in the air!  Wish You The Very Best!  Cheers Randy 

1 person likes this

Posted

Sucks to see your bird bent up mr.  I am sure you will have her back in the air in no time.  Do you have any pics of the gear failure points?  This is a topic near and dear to me and I like to get all the info I can on it for the bigger better mouse trap I will build.

I am sure with you video magic you can have the plane repaired and back in the air with just a quick snap of the fingers!

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you for your support!

The Avid Flyer comunity is amazing - half way home I was able to pick up a second hand left side landing gear (and for a bargin)! I will order new blades from Ukraine and have my bird flying in no time.

Fred - much happier now!

1 person likes this

Posted

Sucks to see your bird bent up mr.  I am sure you will have her back in the air in no time.  Do you have any pics of the gear failure points?  This is a topic near and dear to me and I like to get all the info I can on it for the bigger better mouse trap I will build.

I am sure with you video magic you can have the plane repaired and back in the air with just a quick snap of the fingers!

I will post picks but keep in mind that there is not much you can do about a properly dug ditch... and I'm not sure the damage is really characteristics (unless for ditch ditching...) for how the gear normally folds...

Let's keep the better landing gear discussion going! I need to get in contact with someone that understand the deep secrets about landing gear geometry.

Posted

Great news that you have managed to get another set of left hand landing gear sorted I really look forward to hearing about how things are progressing :)

1 person likes this

Posted

FIrst:  Glad you are not injured or worse!

Second:  Crap!

2 people like this

Posted

Here is, as promised, a pick of the broken landing gear. I think it sends a clear message, "Do NOT land in a ditch". If you have another interpretation let me know:

image.thumb.jpeg.ec3d6cc1c3ac2953f650190But the repair is progressing. I'm refurbishing the landingear that I miraculously was able to collect on the way home (Thank you again Juan!)

image.thumb.jpeg.cefbaadc5cfdd10898f4f84And I have repaired the cowling, now ready for some new paint... And I do have some left...

image.thumb.jpeg.12b4030233f801a7f7b8337The left wheel axis was bent - $hit! - but as I had an order in for Matco for some new brake cylinders (yes, in addition to the crappy pilot I also had crappy brakes) I added a new wheel axis. I'll try to straighten out the old one but they are really short and sturdy - don't think it will be easy.

Earlier today I sent a tear-dripping mail to our friend Roman at NR Props in Ukraine hoping we will give me a good price on the replacement blades (I have already given him at least 1 confirmed customer).

I had to cut the bungee cord as the twisted gear blocked it so I will be making new bungees for myself and anyone else in europe who is interested... (collecting requests until Friday when I will be placing the order with Aircraft Spruce).

If things goes as planned I should be flying again by end of August (and have time for another holiday week with the family in between.

5 people like this

Posted

Sorry to see Fred. Most important is you are ok and the repairs manageable. If by chance the camera was rolling you will have some exciting footage for your next film.

2 people like this

Posted

YOWOUCH! Really glad to read your Ok! I got “puffed” the other day in CHII on final at about 10’ off the ground. I got it down but had to go change my shorts! I’m still in the beginning phases of My  TW training and have this sort of event firmly rooted in my brain!

1 person likes this

Posted

Aw Shit.....

1 person likes this