Tires Matco wide dual fork

5 posts in this topic

Posted

well I am on my third tire for the wide 8" dual fork tail wheel.  Same problem with both, a split in the side wall cheap Chinese Carlisle tires with no other options available about $36.50 USD from Matco.  The good news is that they are available thru Walmart.com for about $13.50 delivered to your local store in a couple of days with no freight charges.  Anyone else having problems with the outside wall splitting on these tires?  I ordered two and put one on the shelf for next year. 

Posted

Paul,

Does yours shimmy at all? Mine does on pavement. I would guess that is what is causing your issue. Even if you couldn’t feel the shimmy, it might still be doing it on a small scale. Shimmy is the same as flutter, and flutter is what a flag does in the wind. Think about what an old flag looks like. I’d guess the best way to stop it is too tighten up the vertical axis nut. Seems someone mentioned something about re torquing it after a couple months use. Makes sense, Good luck. Bryce

Posted

Thanks Bryce, no  tail wheel shimmy that I know of but I will keep an eye on it.

Posted

I have the single arm Matco (which works well and is cheaper) but it also will shimmy. I have to check torque on that vertical bolt every few months, and make it just a little too tight.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have the single fork MATCO and had a lot of shimmy...to the point where I had little ground control.

Here's what helped:

I went back to the stronger springs I got from Spruce. I had installed weaker ones because I couldn't get the tail wheel to caster. George, from MATCO, suggested a weaker spring which helped the breakout but was sloppy on the tail wheel steering.

Then the tailwheel began a severe shimmy. So I took it apart for a closer inspection.

I found that the triangular brass piece that the "wings" come in contact with was worn so that the allen bolt no longer held it in position allowing it to pivot.

I sent for a new one along with other parts that were missing such as the Belville washer and the ring that goes around the lower bushing.

I also replaced some other parts that were an upgrade suggested by the MATCO engineer.

Now the tail wheel only does a brief shimmy of I drop it in causing the tail wheel spring to compress putting slack on the steering springs which allows premature breakout.

I see no sidewall deterioration, but I keep the pressure up to the recommended 60 pounds.

John M

Avid MK4 STOL with Jabiru 2200 engine and Whirlwind 66" 2 blade carbon fiber prop.

Over 4,000 hours in Avids. Model B with Rotax 532, 582 and finally Jabiru 2200. Totaled in a high Sierra strip. Currently MK4 with Rotax 582 and now Jabiru 2200. 

1 person likes this