Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 2

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody flying a model 2 with a 503? Considering what engine to hang on the nose when restoration is complete. Can't seem to give the NSI/Subrau away so maybe a heck of an airboat. It runs smooth but heavy.  Thinking that the original model 2 had a 503 or 532, and a 582 seems to be the common replacement but its still a little on the heavy side when you add the radiators and plumbing. Am leaning to a Hirth air cooled 55,65 or 80.  Just wondering what the performance might be with a 50-65 hp engine.

Posted

Where are you located I may be interested in your ea 81

Posted

I recently sold a 55 HP and 65 HP Hirth engines.  I will have a couple of 582s available soon.  Have them in the shop being gone through to make sure all is good.  One has never ran, and the other has been sitting for a couple of years.  New seals and complete internal inspections on both.   JImChuk

Posted

I am in the middle of WVa. 304-847-5723. It would include everything associated with it. engine, prop, spinner, PRSU, all gages, radiator, engine controls,etc. I ran it up yesterday and all temps and pressures came up normal.  Call me if you would be interested, will give you a heck of a deal.

Posted

I guess I didn't really address the 503 question in your post.  I flew with a guy who had a 503 in his Kitfox 4 in Pensecola Fl a couple of times.  The plane was real light, 525 lbs or so, and we were pretty much at sea level, but I was surprised how well that plane performed.  I'm considering putting an HKS on my recently acquired Kitfox 3 if it comes out light enough when I have it ready to mount an engine.  There was a Tom Jones out in Wa. that had a 503 in his Kitfox 4 as well, and he flew it a lot and liked it.  JImChuk

Posted

I've had good luck with the 503 on other aircraft but they were pusher types and had plenty of cooling. In an enclosed cowling an air-cooled two stroke runs a little on the warmer side. That is one place where water cooled has an advantage. An HKS is a good engine when set up properly but final performance is close to a 503. Top end speed is less important than short field performance which is critical around here. Which is why I like the model 1, 2, or 3 kitfox.  I am shooting for a 450 lb empty weight. May be wishful thinking but it is doable. Nothing but 'G' airspace around here so I don't use many fancy gadgets outside of the basics.

Posted

I have 503 in my Avid. It is around 486lbs empty.  I have 1050 hrs on it now. No cooling problems. 

Posted

That's great!