Matco break seal reference

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking for the correct references for the seals (o-ring) for those (I imagine rather standard) Matco breaks. Do you know Matco / Aircraft Spruce reference?

image.thumb.png.42a8c36659056688c85a815d

Posted

Hi Fred, Sorry about your mishap... These kitfoxs and avids are not the easiest to control on the ground. Mine ate me a few weeks ago and I went the ditch with similar results. If I had decent brakes It would not have happened. 

Anyway Ill will try  to send a pdf of matco brake down. YOu have the early style brake slave cylinder so you might have to contact Matco by email. They are alive and well in business and very helpful. They told me I need to see 450psi at the brake slave cylinder to get good brakes. I put a buage on and I can only get 200-220psi if stand on the brake extremely hard. I added extra calipers, 2 sets on each wheel and it helped somewhat but still is not the fix. Matco also make an intensifier which is a .500" cylinder that fits inside your .625" master cylinder . Smaller piston makes more pressure. Ive been told by others it only helps a bit... The problem is the geometry of the brake pedal....

Matco has a complete reseal kit for your old style master cylinder, the one with large reservoir at the top of the master cylinder. This master cylinder is an MC-5, and I was told Kitfox used an MC-4, with a shortened piston rod. I was told if necessary to cut it off a little and rethread vbut I used my old MC-4s and resealed them. Hope this helps...

I think the O rings are just Buna N oil rings... you can soak one in 5606 hydralic fluid and see if it swells up but Im pretty sure that is what they are..

If you look at photo 005 you can see I might be able to redrill a new attach hole aft of the existing and get more leverage....will not have proper edge distance but better brakes are needed,.

Mark Smith in Davneport

Matco phone is 801-335-0581 in Woods Cross, UT 84087

FAX 801-335-0581

tech@MATCOmfg.com <tech@MATCOmfg.com>;

070513-072818 matco brake dwg.pdf

matco.jpeg

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

lg matco cylinder.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Brilliant Mark, THANKS!

And yes, better brakes could have helped, probably would have. And I'm not only refurbishing the breaks, I'm reviewing the entire system.

One thing that puzzles me in your pics is the dual setup. The break pressure you can produce is determined by the foot breaks (and we know that problem) but if you send that to one or two calipers should not make much difference (other than tor wear and heat). You will apply half of the produced pressure in each of them.

I will be installing the same kind of break cylinders that you have. The good thing with those, compared to those with the built in reservoir, is that they are designed so that they can be connected in series... so I will have a single master break handle on the stick that when used actions both breaks equally (I had a central hand break like that before this before and it works great), I'll use that for equal breaking (landing, holding etc.) and use the individual foot breaks for maneuvering.

Fred

Posted

You will apply half of the produced pressure in each of them.

No.The pressure is the same everywhere in the system - if you have two calipers, you have to physically move the master cylinder twice as far to get the same brake puck travel, but for any pressure on the pedal you get the same pressure in the two calipers that you would have gotten with one.

Posted (edited)

You will apply half of the produced pressure in each of them.

No.The pressure is the same everywhere in the system - if you have two calipers, you have to physically move the master cylinder twice as far to get the same brake puck travel, but for any pressure on the pedal you get the same pressure in the two calipers that you would have gotten with one.

Yes, correct if we are able to push twice as far, or twice as hard, to get the full benefit of the 2 calipers. But the problem we have is not the efficiency of the calipers but the difficulty creating sufficiant pressure through the break pedals.

In short, you get the same braking result by pushing twice as far, or twice as hard, with only one caliper. 

Edited by FredStork

Posted

The brake disc are nice and true and the running clearances between the brake pads and the disc is minimal so when I push on the brake pedal it does not seem to travel any farther

(if it does it is not noticable). IT does improve the braking action but still not enough to hold the plane above about 1/2 or 3/4 throttle....ITs better but still not right....or as it should be.

By having dual caliper, it increase the surface of the brake pads onto the disc. HOwever if I did it again, I would try the brake intensifiers, they are thin wall cylinders that fit inside the brake master cylinder and make the master cylinder piston smaller thus able to make more pressure...