Rear view camera

9 posts in this topic

Posted

In the interest of safety, and not getting  my ass ran over by something faster than me In the airport traffic pattern, I’m thinking about installing a video camera on top of the skylight facing rearward and have it WiFi to an iPad in the cockpit. Kind of like a back up camera on our car. When you get to the airport area and there’s gonna be a lot of traffic just turn the rearview camera on. But.............I don’t know squat about video cameras and which ones would be good for this purpose. Does anybody have any suggestions on which camera would make sense for this? Thanks for your help, Bryce

Posted

I think at that point in the pattern I would be more worried about looking ahead than behind.  LOL.  A couple round mirrors on the jury strut would do just as much for a quick glance as another distraction in the cockpit.  Tower should be the ones worried about traffic separation if its that busy.  Good reporting goes a long ways at in towered airports.  It is hard enough to pick out traffic with your own eyes when your scanning the sky looking for them, I don't see a back up cam having good enough resolution to really help you out.  I could be dead wrong though!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

A gopro hero 3+ or newer will blue tooth to your cell phone and you can see the video real time if you have a smart phone.

Edited by lv2plyguitar
1 person likes this

Posted

My concern is up and behind the plane cause the dumb ass in the Cirrus can’t see down and below in front of them. Don’t want anyone descending on me! So the mirrors wouldn’t work.  And there’s no tower yet at the airport I’m going to. John Miller had a midair with a Barron in one of his Avids. I’ve punched my Lucky Bastard card an awful lot to get away with that!

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been thinking about going to ADS-B out for that very reason.  I have Adsb in which is helping to see a lot of the planes and it will be even better in a couple of years.  Most of the planes that you are worrying about have ADS-B already.  The downside is about $3000 to upgrade.

Posted

Even when it’s working, I would trust them to run over me rather than avoid me.  The original adsb was pilots LOOKING out their windshield for each other. Simple concept. Maybe I need a bubble canopy from a P-51:lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

By the time you see something on the screen it will be too late.  

Take the camera and put it on the front for ground taxiing visibility.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I bought a used garmin 795 $1000 and a used gdl 39  $800.  That combo provides adsb transmit and receive. Any one else flying with a Adsb shows up on my garmin 795. Pretty cool to watch. I was flying a few days ago and did not see traffick headed toward me at 90 degrees until my garmin alerted me to their presence. I looked to my left, saw the plane coming. The garmin even shows their altitude. Adsb will help prevent collisions. We just had a midair collision death a few weeks back so I enjoy the added safety of Adsb 

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

I bought a used garmin 795 $1000 and a used gdl 39  $800.  That combo provides adsb transmit and receive. Any one else flying with a Adsb shows up on my garmin 795. Pretty cool to watch. I was flying a few days ago and did not see traffick headed toward me at 90 degrees until my garmin alerted me to their presence. I looked to my left, saw the plane coming. The garmin even shows their altitude. Adsb will help prevent collisions. We just had a midair collision death a few weeks back so I enjoy the added safety of Adsb 

Neither the 795 nor the gdl 39 provide ADS-B out.  NO portable device is approved for ads-b out, and I highly doubt they ever will.  For ADS-B out on our planes, the UAvionix device that replaces a nav light is a great option - it just got it's approval from the FAA at Oshkosh.

https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

Mark