9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On my first landing in the Avid C type speed wing I found out the hard way that the previous owners may have used the wrong brake fluid I lost the right brake during the roll out and hit a small bank, also a long bleed nipple was also fitted to the right wheel and as it rolled over the bank it punctured the tyre and wrecked it

Edited by alan von Stark
1 person likes this

Posted

Dot 5: WRONG

MIL-PRF-5606H: RIGHT

Posted

Thanks allonsye a little more info would be useful, I've looked at LAS catalog which is the only place to get what you are recommending and it is sold in rather large containers for my needs. I got the dot 5 info from this EAA video are you saying that this guy is wrong?

Posted

Matco's current info available on their website says 5606 or DOT 5, but definitely not DOT 3,4, or 5.1.

Posted

Just say'in that you can't go wrong with 5606. You don't need but a liter or so and will have plenty extra for future bleeding.  I'd source it at the local aerodrome maint shop.

Posted

Just say'in that you can't go wrong with 5606. You don't need but a liter or so and will have plenty extra for future bleeding.  I'd source it at the local aerodrome maint shop.

I'm inclined to agree...

Posted

5606 is mineral base hydralic fluid,, DOT 5 is silicon based, not sure what it will do to the brake seals, probably swell them and make the brakes inop.

Regular car brake fluid is ester base and will definitely  swell the brake O rings.......YOu can do a google search or Ebay search for mil spec H-5606 and you will find lots of it,, 

ROyco makes it and it might have a different number but look in the fine print for  Mil-H-5606

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the info Guys :)

Posted

Brake fluid compatibility, the other way around problem...

I have Matco brake calipers and brake cylinders set up for 5606 or DOT5 as recomended by Matco. In my specific setup (will tell you about it later) I have an additional master cylinder. I bought one specific 5606/Dot5 for experimental aircraft and it turned out to be a high priced piece of... It leaks, it doesn't work and isn't worth the plastic it is made of...

But I happened to have a Chineese motorcyle break cylinder, brand new, never had a drop of oil in it. There is no indication on what brake fluid should be used but we can assume it is not military grade 5606. DOT 3/4 is more likey.

We know (because we have been told so...) that DOT 3/4/5.1 will do massive harm to o-rings and other seals made for 5606, and we don't want to try...

Here is my question: How will "DOT 3/4/5.1" o-rings and seals react on 5606? If they are expected to react, deteriorate and start to leak, after how long time?  

I filled up the master cylinder with red 5606 fluid, purged it, and applied pressure. Works great, but that was just a few days ago...