Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Custom Header Build Option

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Had a great experience with an outfit here in MN helping me build headers for the Yamaha and thought I'd post it for anyone else that might have a need to do something like this.

I first looked at trying to rework some auto / motorcycle headers but quickly learned that for a unique "one off" application that has to precisely fit under a cowl, you really have to go custom.  So then you have two options:  1. DIY using auto parts fittings or 2. Go with the GP mock up kit which allows the following advantages:

1.  A totally custom header design.  With the mock up kit you have virtually unlimited options as to the routing, design, and output of the header. The guys at the header shop have a lot more options than you can find at NAPA!

2.  Professional fabrication.  This guy does this exclusively... all day and every day.  Top notch materials, processes, and weld quality will pay off down the road and is definitely worth a few extra bucks IMO.

3.  Your choice of material.  From mild steel, 304 sst, and 321 sst.  Price estimates were approx $900 USD for mild steel, $1200 for 304 stainless and $1800 for 321. 

My build was out of 304 and came to $1240 (with everything included).

Below I will post up some pics of my build with the GP mock up kit.

Pic 1 is of my pvc mock up with the GP kit.  It only took a few hours to make!

Pic 2 is the one piece CNC cut flange that GP made up for the 4 cyl Yamaha motors (note that it is made for the mock up kit with internally threaded stubs and obviously not the one used for final fabrication) 

Pic 3-5 are the finished product.

https://www.gpheaders.com/products/custom-headers/

20180625_160811.jpg

20180622_214115.jpg

20180806_125657.jpg

20180806_130619.jpg

20180806_130604.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox
4 people like this

Posted

Plese forgive the double post, but I did this same poat over in my build thread.

Thought it might be interesting to some that aren't following that so I put it here too.

Posted

Will you add a tail pipe and muffler outside the cowl, like Steve does?

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep, i am saving the space under the motor fo a change to an in-cowl radiator.