Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Subaru Turbo

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking at buying a Kitfox with a Subaru engine in it, and was wondering what it would take to put a turbo on that engine.  Would it be easier and more cost effective to buy a rebuilt turbo charged engine?  How much added hp would a turbo actually give me? 

Thanks guys,

Bartman

Retired USAF

Posted

What model Kitfox?  A Subaru is heavy enough.  Adding a turbo to an early plane could mean adding ballast to the tail.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not a sales pitch here, but the Yamaha comes in at about 30- 40 lbs less than a Soob... with 130-150 HP.

Lotta work to do a custom install, but one fella out there provides a semi complete FWF package for Kitfox.  With a motor and all costs taliied up you'd be looking at right about $10k.

Posted

It's a KF 5 I'm looking at, and already has a Soob in it, and flying.  I'm trying to find out if adding a turbo would be worth the time and money.

Posted

In my opinion you can’t have to much power. Don’t know the cost but added power will save you in certain circumstances. 

Posted

In my opinion you can’t have to much power. Don’t know the cost but added power will save you in certain circumstances. 

I agree with you 100%.